Metamorphosis: Cranefly emergence

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Pat Lat, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Well this sure was a fun tie, I'm eventually going to scale it down to a simpler, more fishable, mosquito sized version. I'll probably use moose mane and grizzly hackle on those, as the coloration would be better. Probably wont take to long to whip them up so keep an eye out for my next concoction of fur and feathers.

Enjoy.

IMG_4866.JPG

2. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thats cool Pat, I'm anxious to see what your simpler more fishable one looks like. That one's to complex for me, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around where it stops and starts.

3. riseform

riseform Active Member

That's a piece of art!

4. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Here's one on a size 18 scud hook

IMG_4885.JPG

kelvin, jimmydub, Mark Mercer and 5 others like this.
  5. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Very cool ties. The extreme close-up view really highlights the detail, well done Pat.

LB

6. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Those look awesome! Rather intense projects, but amazing work!

7. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I'd love to see the practical application of this effort. Your second fly looks like it would make an incredible midge emerger but I'd fear that it would fall over once on the water. Either way they sure are pretty to look at.

8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

well Ira I guess we'll have to do some field testing, they seem to float in the film as intended after a few tosses into a bowl of water, I'm sure they'd do better with a little floatant. I'll tie up a handful and give em to you next time we meet. I figure they'd be a better stillwater pattern anyways, and I don't do much of that. IMG_4902.JPG IMG_4906.JPG

kelvin likes this.
  9. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Oh heck yeah. Part of me was thinking that the emergent floating part was above the water and the part just below would be on the water. Midges hatch quick, but trout will key in on those that hatch quicker. You may consider shortening the emergent part so the main body floats higher in the water column, because midges also hatch right in the film. This pattern though could easily be taken as both.

Another thing I like about it though is the choice of body color. At that point the midges are normally very bright and usually silver but off color non black midges are often greenish and the green stands out well.

10. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

please send me a dozen of each

11. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

CF emerger.jpg
    amazing family resemblance

12. steeli

steeli Member

Great stuff Pat; when ya can't fool them with basics fish can get super selective...if they sit right in the water even the smartest think would be fooled with these. I'm a big fan of cripple emergers; these could take it to a new level.

13. james.jimenez

james.jimenez Active Member

Any chance I could get SBS or a recipe?

14. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Awesome flies Pat.

15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Pat, if you don't fish lakes too often you probably won't need the #18 midge's... I'd be happy to field test them for you...say.... half dozen to get started. Awesome ties!