Methow and Wenatchee opener

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Patrick Gould, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Looks like you all get to fish for Steelhead in the Methow and Wenatchee this fall and next spring. Rumor has it that it'll be a split season with most of the winter closed. No opening date announced so far.

2. grandma grann

grandma grann Member

that's good I look forward to fishing the Methow this fall, what flies would you recommend for Steelhead . Just out of curiosity where did you hear this rumor at?

3. Patrick Gould

Media:
    I haven't really fished for Steelhead yet. I'm sure others will chime in with their fly recommendations. I heard the rumor from the local fly shop. They had a rep at the WDFW meeting that discussed the opener.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Too many darn wolves for me to return. They seriously spooked me bad last year on my first outing. Now the pack is larger and more aggressive! Not worth the risk to fish there, especially if you plan on camping.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Not to mention the snakes. But the real thing to worry about is the locals who like to break in to your car while you are out fishing. Methow will suck this year anyway.

jeff bandy likes this.
  6. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Media:
    Also, don't forget about the man eating bull trout. If you dare to fish it, wear steel mesh under your waders.

7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I hear Sasquatch has moved into the area as well... And a honey badger.. Don't mess with the honey badger... It'll fuck you up!! Check YouTube and you'll see!!

Rob Ast and The Duke like this.
  8. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Ed, and don't forget the cougar we saw across the river last year right in Twisp.

Plus, rumor is that there is a Jaguar that likes to roam the banks of the Methow too, LOL!

Ed Call likes this.
  9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    I attended the round table meeting WDFW held in Pateros last week (or whenever it was). There were three main discussion topics; land management, wolves, and steelhead.

My conclusion from the meeting is anglers in general are pretty apathetic compared to landowners and business. When it comes down to a hobby (fishing) vs. livelihood (job), those with their livelihood at stake are generally more vocal, active, and informed. That being said, I only recognized one guide from Omak.

WDFW has a tough job dealing with the public. On one side, you have a bunch of ranchers howling to kill the wolves while on the other side, you have the hippies howling to save the wolves. Then on the other topic, land management, you have a bunch of locals crying that WDFW owns too much land reducing the tax base. Then on the other side, you have the rest of the public asking for more land for more recreational opportunities. How is WDFW supposed to cater to all? They simply can't.

I agree, best to steer clear of the Methow. Between the honey badgers, snakes, cougars, jaguars, ticks, wolves, and now the disgruntled farmers, ranchers, and land owners, the Methow is no place to be seen.

10. Patrick Gould

Media:
    A great post that illustrates why we end up with solutions that often please nobody.

11. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I think I dated the cougar back in the late 90's.

Sampei and flybill like this.
  12. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    I hope that cougar doesn't find out I'll be on the Methow in October. Things didn't end well.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Freestone, I had forgotten. That cougar was cool to see across the river and adds to the overall risk of returning. Sasquatch too? That sucker stalked me on the Klickitat and Kalama. Isn't there anywhere safe to fish anymore? I need a fly fishing game or app!

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Even when it does open, I have a feeling it's going to be 2010 all over again, where the fish just stayed out in the Columbia. Conditions are similar, but worse this year, with the river low and warm.

15. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Then they will all move in when it is closed in the winter and be completely dispersed by the time they open it again, keeping the fisherman spread out as well. Time to learn how to nymph the Columbia.

16. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Too bad they don't open the Wenatchee all the way to the lake. In the years gone past when it was open, there was some very good trout fishing in it.

17. grandma grann

grandma grann Member

when it comes to dangerous rivers there is no river more dangerous than the ,Sol Doc, the rivers on the east side of the mountains don't even come close to the challenge and danger of the causal rivers, as far as navigation on the river it is on an absolute nightmare with logjams on every corner, and all the crazy people, wild animals it really is the wild West out there. I went to the Sol Doc last year and was fishing from shore, when a guided boat pulled up, the guide told me to leave and showed me his gun in the holster, I also saw three bears that day and a cougar visited my camp.

Greg@PNW and porterHause like this.
  18. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Well I was intending to try a few days there [while visiting my sister in Spokane] think I'll check some other options now!

19. Lance

Lance workin' on it

Really?!?, Wolves aren't going to eat you man, actually fishing is always better when they are around. Don't be scared.

20. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    No, they won't eat you just maim you and drag you into the river for the fish to eat. Thus the reason the fishing is better. Haven't you heard about these cunning Washington wolves yet?