Methow and Wenatchee opener

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Patrick Gould, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Ira, just rent a room at the new hotel in pateros and watch the locals. They will show you how to boober fish right of the docks in the park. We always stay there when fishing Rufus woods just to watch the boober show sometimes I even join in!!!!!!

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I've seriously thought about doing that a couple of times. But I'd take my pram out and anchor and then fish it like I do other stillwaters. Could be cool.

3. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    Maybe I am missing something here, but isn’t the Wenatchee River already open for trout, including steelhead below the Hwy 2 bridge in Leavenworth. The WDFW pamphlet specifically states the river is closed from the Hwy 2 bridge up to Lake Wenatchee. No mention is made about the river from Hwy 2 down to the mouth. The only other special rule mentioned is the Whitefish season from Dec 1 – Mar 31.

So, in the absence of any other special rules don’t statewide freshwater regulations apply (pg 16) where rivers streams and beaver ponds are open for all game fish from the 1st Sat in June thru Oct 31.

The current Sport Fish Rules went into effect on May 1 2012 and rules found in the Sportfishing Pamphlet are in effect unless otherwise noted in the changes that are listed in Emergency Rule Updates. The closure of the Wenatchee for Steelhead occurred on March 25, 2012 and no closure rules are on the WDFW website superseding the general rules found in announcing a June opener.

The common perception is that the river is closed. Is it?

4. greenwater

greenwater Member

Media:
    No, it's not closed. From the mouth to the hwy 2 bridge at Leavenworth its open for whitefish for the dates listed. Along with that it's closed waters from hwy 2 bridge on up.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    greenwater is correct, it is closed and is never open for trout. What you are missing is that if a body of water is listed in the special rules section, ALL the openings for that body of water will be listed. Any river section, season, fish species, etc. not listed means it is closed. The only time the Statewide General Rules apply is when the body of water is not listed the Special Rules section. It can be a bit confusing but it states this in the regs somewhere and I think it is actually on every page in the special regs section but I don't have them in front of me. The reason that it lists the HWY 2 to Lake Wenatchee section as closed is because it is never open for anything even when other sections of the river are open for whitefish, steelhead or salmon.

mwdehaan likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike Active Member

Media:
    My response from WDFW on this question. If somebody didn't understand the history of the river, they could get themselves in a lot of trouble.

Thank you for raising this question as I have brought this up myself to the Regional Fish Program manager as a concern that the way this regulation is written in the special rules could cause confusion. Bottom line, is that it is closed from the mouth to the hwy 2 bridge in Leavenworth, except for from December 1st – March 31st for Whitefish. This is very much noted and I will include this into next seasons Sport Fishing Rule change proposals.

Till next Monday.

7. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Member

The cougar is a non-issue, a whole pack of wolverines moved into the are and have seriously f--ked up the local cat population. With the cats gone, they can now pick off fisherman. But go, enjoy.

8. hydrological

hydrological beads are NOT flies and snagging is just ghetto

wow, i even heard there was a hydrogen hydroxide spill on the upper methow last week. guess there is no hope for fishing it this year.

mwdehaan and The Duke like this.
  9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Hydrological going hydrogen hydroxide on us, from my hazmat response days I know that stuff is the worst! Countless victims have fallen to the hydrogen hydroxide. Stay way clear of that mess.

10. TroutTamer

TroutTamer Member

11. TD

TD Active Member

12. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Bring your own rock!

13. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Or get there early and never ever leave the rock you find, not even to land a fish.

14. nutsack angler

nutsack angler newb

THANK YOU WDFW!!!

15. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's a meat fishery. Same as all other meat fisheries in the state, expectations of solitude should be adjusted a bit.

Irafly likes this.
  16. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I agree to an extent. I think certain areas it is excellent to have this attitude but I think the further away from these areas you head, the more you are allowed to relax the meat fishery mentality. I personally like the meat fishery mentality and the crowds. Crowds on the other hand don't always like me. As stated before, I'm obnoxiously friendly. :)

17. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Another Orangeradish :cool:

18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Wouldn't know, but if so, I'll fish with him anytime! Although could a stretch of water take so much positive energy? What will the grouchy, conceded, stuffy swingers of the fly and casters of the gear do with themselves. I'm not sure it would be fair.

19. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Please, as a public service, let us know when the irafly and the orangeradish will connect to fish and where...

20. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    What do you say Orange, I could be way up for catching steel on Saturday!