Methow Beta

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Todd Smith, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Todd Smith

Todd Smith New Member

Hi,

I am new to spey rods and the WA steelhead scene. I am headed to mazama to ski tour this wknd but I have a free day to fish. I understand the river may still be open to steelhead (I need to check WDFW site and confirm). Can anyone give me an idea as to the condition and the ice situation? Is this even a good idea?

Thanks

Todd

2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

you may need an ice auger. Down here in my area the lakes are frozen and a lot of people are ice fishing. Are you flying into WA as you don't have a location listed.

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

It depends on how much you like fishing in snow and ice. As these photos show, there is some open water - but you'll have to work to find it. Yesterday, however, the whole river from Twisp down had major ice/slush flowing down the part that wasn't frozen. But it got down to 5 last night so I expect today the ice flow might have moved up river as it was starting to form between Winthrop and Twisp late yesterday. It supposed to be a little warmer at night this week so you could throw your rod in just in case as in general, conditions have been better up high.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389028600.460786.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389028660.892642.jpg

Irafly, Ryan Higgins and KerryS like this.
  4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Wait a sec: hasn't the Methow been closed now for at least a couple of weeks? The Methow closed, then the Wenatchee unless I'm completely off base. And the snow sucks, too.

5. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

That is just UGLY, Freestone.

But thanks for posting.