Methow Boat Ban?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Freestone, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Albums:
    We've all read about or experienced the huge increase in boat traffic on the Klickitat and WSC has proposed a state-wide rule banning all fishing from a floating device on mnay steelhead rivers.

I hear that WDFW is considering banning fishing from a floating device on the Methow this steelhead season. (they can't ban boats from floating) Some argue that it will offer the fish some additional 'sanctuary' water and reduce wade angler/boat conflict but I also hear the 'what about the disabled, old, young, etc.' I wade fish so it won't impact me (except to not have boats fish through my water) but I do have some older friends who will have to get in and out of a boat to fish making the trip a bit more physically taxing.

What are your thoughts? Any ideas for those less physically able? The WSC proposal doesn't address this issue.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I support this on the Klick, not on the Methow. I like being able to pound the good spots on foot before the guide boats roll through :D

Really, though. I don't think boats are much an issue on this river. Not many float it at all. Plus, it's not exactly an easy row in anything below Mcfarland Creek, so that alone limits the amount of traffic. I fish the Methow often, and can't recall more than a time or two where a boat even floated past me, let alone fished my water or anything of the sort.

3. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

Unless we get some rain some rain soon, taking a boat down any part of the Methow could be an interesting exercise in oarsmanship. I also suspect there are a lot fewere places where steelhead can get some sanctuary in these low flows. But it would bum me out to lose the opportunity to pull plugs from my pontoon boat. :)

4. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I generally oppose ideas like this. I may be changing a bit though.

I recently fished a couple of rivers where boat fishing is not allowed. Additionally, common practice is not to fish any piece of water someone else is on. There was no nymphing (not due to rules but due to common practice) and we only saw 2 gear fishermen for the week.

It was pretty much awesome. The change in attitude is refreshing and makes for a much more enjoyable experience. Although we had to work around sleds and guides, the fact that there was no boat fishing opened up smaller pieces to those who could recognize them.

Don't get me wrong, some guides were reported to be behaving poorly but you'll get that anywhere there is guided angling. The rest of us all got along well and the experience was relaxing, as fishing should be.

I can see the appeal for sure. Of course, I will probably just continue to fish summer fish where people adhere to these mostly unwritten guidelines rather than face off with the boaters on the Eastside rivers. It's a shame, cuz I love that Met.

If we really wanted to improve the experience we'd ban guiding. That's what I'd rather see.

Go Sox,
    cds

5. bushwacker

bushwacker Member

Boy that got my attention! I've fished the Deschutes for years and believe that the secret to that great river is the restriction of not being able to fish from a boat. By comparison, the Yakima allows guides to let flyfishers who can't even cast, layout a line and then allow the guide to control the boat to drift their fly under the spot that they hook the same trout day-after-day. In my opinion fly fishing is about standing on your own two legs and learning how to deal with the challenges the river presents.

I think the same thing applys to the Klickitat. A small river with too many fishermen(gear and fly) drifting over and over again, the same run with the bobbers or bait.

The same is true on the Methow. Bobber fly fishermen tolling over the same hole time-after-time.

JesseCFowl likes this.
  6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    Can't say I've had the same experience. It used to be that way, but not anymore. I bought a raft specifically to fish that river, but I still wouldn't mind seeing them ban fishing from a boat AND close the bottom 2 miles of the river.

7. fastpitchpete

fastpitchpete Member

Media:
    The question was posed: "Any ideas for those less physically able? The WSC proposal doesn't address this issue." My response, being the spouse of a disabled individual, is that they understand their limitations, and more than anything, support conservation of the fishery. If this rule is best to restoring the fishery, let it be so.

8. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Banning the fishing from a boat is a good idea in my mind. I have had great experiences on the Deschutes because of this. Also watching gear guys fish with side planers from the bank is hilarious, especially when they hook up and have to fight fish and side planer to bank.

9. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    That's not the river allowing it, it's the guide.

10. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I haven't seen this proposal but the one for the Klick only bans boat fishing on certain sections. The disabled could still boat fish the lower river. Win-win!

11. sjterry

sjterry Sr. Lurker

Media:
    I can't disagree more the post above. before I start in, let me say I use to fish a lot, now I fish a little, but I enjoy swinging, nyphing, wading and floating. From my perspective, it is not a win / win if two people who had the same access before and now they don't are segragated by a law. The upper river and lower river on the Met and Klick are very different. Having just gone through a serious leg injury that required surgery and not fishing all summer, I was able to float and fish the Klick the last two days with a good buddy. Healthy, I could have wadded and fish every spot we hooked fish and likely done almost as well. With my injury -- not a chance. I was able to wade for about 30 min in a swing run. I also know that restricting the water to only those gifted enough to "make the cast" or wade "that water" is not the equitable solution. Plus, while healthy it might benefit me, I will not take it for granted that it may be the way I have to fish in the future. I have seen many people with disabilities helped in and out of the boat at the end of a day floating. We should never restrict the right of any of our citizens to access, where feasibly possible and reasonably so, our national treasures. They should be there for all to enjoy fully. I am not talking about building ramps to the rivers edge or docs, a simple oar driven boat works great.

There are many other ways to address the safe habitat, safe water, over fishing issues. You could regulate launch slots, river sections, raffled permits, age and ability licenses, or create a lottery for only a certain number of permits like on the wind river or the Colorado so that commercial (guide) and private boats all have the same chance to fish (or not). But, a simple shutdown of boat angling is not fair or right. Besides, if you listen to most guys with boats and guides on the water, 95% of people in the boat can't fish anyway. People talk about 1 or 2 fish being good day steelheading, but my general experience is that you have just as good a chance to hit a bunch of fish on good trout stream as on a good steelhead stream (which is the case more often that not if you can cast a little). I have wadded and floated both, want to continue to do both (I mean heavens I don’t want to step on a sapling that would fail to grow and then cause the bank to erode and silt out the spawning beds).

12. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!

Media:
    Home Page:
    One observation on guide behavior here. If the state held guides responsible for their behavior, and for their guest's behavior, including any infractions, things might get better. In New York state guides are regulated, tested for proficiency, required to maintain first aid, cpr, basic water rescue certifications. Additional requirements for hiking, camping, canoeing, white water etc. There is a stated conduct policy, enforcement, a hearings board, and suspensions or revocations of licenses for serious infractions or unsportsmanlike conduct. Here in Washington all you need is the license fee, a leaky boat, a bucket of hooks and sneering contempt for the rules.

shawn k, Ed Call, Brett Angel and 4 others like this.
  13. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have fished New York state a lot. Guides behave really poorly their too. Truthfully everywhere in the US that I've fished, if there are a lot of guides a percentage of them behave really poorly. That's my experience. Money does a lot to change behavior.

I will say too though that he worst behavior I've ever seen is from non-guided sled jockeys on my local stream so it isn't only guides. Second place would be Salmon River NY guides and non-guides. The things tou see there are pretty astonishing.

Go Sox,
    cds

14. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Fixed it for you.

15. Charles Sullivan

Media:
    Home Page:
    True, Ed. I figured I'd get some heat on this one. It's probably deserved.

I called you yesterday. I think I have the wrong number. A woman's message came up.

Go Sox,
    cds

16. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Media:
    What about a float permit for disabled?

fastpitchpete likes this.
  17. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

Just givin' you a crap...you probably had the right message. April has more business than me; so, the sex change seemed like a good contribution to the operating plan. Out the door but I'll give you a shout later. Cheers, Ed

Charles Sullivan likes this.
  18. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Banning fishing from a boat makes fishing a better experience except for those who have it in their heads that they can only have a good time if they are fishing from a boat. As for the physically disabled, issue them a disabled fishing permit granting them, and them only, not their boating partners, the opportunity to fish from a boat. Some things are pretty simple.

There is nothing unfair about banning fishing from a boat. Sport fishing in WA is a privilege and not a right. With that privilege comes some regulations. You don't have to like them. You just have to follow them or endure the consequences. And who said life is fair, anyway? It isn't. Get over it.

Sg

19. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Swinging is fun, way more fun than feeding fish. Just my opinion and I'll stick with it. Dead drifting beads or bait from a boat is feeding fish, it's not fly fishing.

shawn k likes this.
  20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Rolf, although I agree with you in principle, and respect your swing and dead drift preferences (especially if you add skating), but the regulations define fly fishing differently.