Methow Report 2

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,052 / 1
    Slow and slow. I fished all day saturday and ended up with one take and one fish landed after about 8 hours of fishing. It was a beautiful wild fish. Some gear guys drifting corkies were hooking a few in the evening. My other friend and my brother both ended up with one take, but no fish.

Today I fished for about four hours before my first take and that fish ended up being a nice hatchery hen. Then my brother hooked one briefly about 10 minutes after me. The next fish came about an hour later when I moved down into a slot but it quickly came unbuttoned. I then missed two more takes but then ended up with one more hatchery fish just around 2:00. After that fish, both my friend and brother were ready to head home.

So, in the end 45 man hours of fishing between the three of us and only 3 fish landed and 2 others hooked. So one fish every 9 hours. I only heard of one other fly fisherman landing a fish on the river, but I did see a gentleman land a fish on a center pin set up while he was demonstrating it to me. He didn't even see his float pop down, I had to let him know.
    troutpocket likes this.
  2. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    About par for the WESTside.
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    That was probably Mr. Ian Broadie. He's damn good at that pin.
  4. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Pin to win baby \m/
    constructeur likes this.
  5. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    And it was good chatting with you guys down on the Miller Hole
  6. Irafly Active Member

It was Ian, thanks for the demonstration.
  7. Trapper Peak Member

Mercer Island, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Slow and more Slow from a swingers perspective............

I fished half day Saturday and half day Sunday until I returned home to Seattle. Brutal. Not even a tug. I did manage to catch one Dollie but otherwise nothing. Any other swingers experience this over the weekend?
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  8. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Yah, I couldn't buy a fish on the swing and it wasn't for a lack of trying I would say about 70% of my fishing was stubbornly swinging runs that I know hold fish. One run in particular I swung over a fish three times with three different tips, finally stopping at t-11, and three different flies with no results until I said uncle and switched to a 50/50 spoon.

Usually the Methow is a a 5wt two handed swinging game but the water was up much higher than normal and I found myself wishing I had brought a 7wt two hander and a 13' center pin so I could dredge the runs I can usually casually swing through.
  9. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Can anyone give me a quick explanation of what a "center pin" is? It's something I'm not familiar with. For a time I thought it was something related to gear fishing, but from the sound of it in this thread it is a fly fishing thing?

Thanks,

Jason
  10. Trapper Peak Member

Mercer Island, WA
    I Hear ya..........I eventually was swapping out flies out like crazy! This was my first time on the river for steelhead so I dont know the river levels etc. I was using my 2 handed 7wt rod which seemed like a good choice! As this is a new sport to me ............not sure what you mean by a center pin??

I liked the river......... just wished it were closer to home....4 hour drive after swing fishing is tough. The Seahawks made it easier though...GO HAWKS!
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Centerpinning is its own thing entirely. Not easily explained without seeing a demonstration either.

That's been it since the water temps dropped after the first few days of being open. We've hit fish on the spey rods, but it was on the dead drift with very heavy flies before the swing started.
  12. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Wasn't the river on a steady rise all weekend? Steelhead aren't often snappy on rising water. Of course, fish that aren't there aren't snappy either.
  13. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    The river was on the drop.

14. Irafly Active Member

Sounds like I did well to hook the three I did on Sunday, no more complaining about it being slow from me, but I sure wish my brother and my other friend could have caught one.
  15. Trapper Peak Member

Mercer Island, WA
    Irafly.... How were you fishing! Floating and nymphing? Wading and nymphing? Swinging?

All makes a Big difference from what I am finding out! More success to guys that nymph...

It's rare you see guys nymphing by wading...
  16. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Yes you did, and it's probably because you can work a nymph like few other's I've seen. I couldn't buy a fish on Sunday.
    Irafly likes this.
  17. Irafly Active Member

Thank you for that, I don't think about it that much until I'm fishing with someone new to the sport like my brother. It forces me to think about all those subconscious things that you do as a fisherman that equate to success. Trying to relate all that in a couple of trips is difficult. Because I don't think about it though, I make the assumption that my catch rate had more to do with luck then skill. I imagine Ian, that you made that center pin demonstration look much easier then what it really was.

Trapper, I was wading the river and nymphing. I used a variety of nymphs, usually a large upper nymph and then a smaller bottom nymph. One of my fish came on a glow bug pattern, but the others this weekend came on one of the smaller nymphs. Two weekends back I did better on the larger nymphs.
  18. NukeLDO Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    A center pin is a type of reel...looks like a large fly reel...google it. But, it goes free-spool for those swinging drifts and allows you to maintain a line down a particular drift. Used extensively in the upstate NY Salmon River fishery with a bobber and weighted setup to maintain a vertical presentation.
  19. Methow Active Member

Twisp, Wa.
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    River shot up to over 1200cfs last night. Going to go give it a look dout I'll be doing any fishing.
  20. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    CPs are quite common here in BC too, I have four or five down in the dungeon. Some Hardy's, a couple of Islander's and some JW Young's