Methow Report 2

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Irafly, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,095 / 1
    You are truly psycho if those are down in the dungeon. I think I'm ready to give them a try, although I'm not 100% sure if they are really that much better then a gear rod or a spinning reel on a fly rod... wait, what was that... a general intake of disgust from the the fly rod steelhead purists on the site.
  2. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Center pins are fun as this chumly will attest to (my latest conquest from this afternoon). The taper of a center pin rod is different than most fly rods in that the tip is pretty soft and then stiffening up in the butt section which can allow for more delicate presentations. I still much prefer swinging for steelhead but when that's not an option or the species of fish prefer a dead drift I would rather center pin than use a conventional gear rod or nymph a fly rod.

Attached Files:

TallFlyGuy likes this.
  3. Irafly Active Member

Dang it Ian, I should have asked you to try it out while I was there. I love the visual aspect of nymphing with an indicator or float.
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  4. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    Irafly, I am 72 years old there is lots of stuff down in the fishing room AKA the dungeon.:D Stuff that I haven't looked at for a dozen years. Enough tying stuff to outfit a good fly shop.:eek:
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  5. Irafly Active Member

Do you need an adopted son? My sons need a granddad :)
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  6. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +142 / 0
    I teach fly tying at a local school, supply all the materials. I figure that we have to pass on our knowledge to the up and comers, if not our passion for water and fish will die out. Usually have a dozen or so kids.
    David Dalan, Irafly and Ian Broadie like this.
  7. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    I just wanted to point out that being 72 and having a SN like Psycho is badass.
    Irafly, Jeff Dodd, Lex and 1 other person like this.
  8. Irafly Active Member

I was thinking the same dang thing.
  9. Irafly Active Member

Update, my hatchery brats tasted great! I brushed one filet with high quality olive oil and then sprinkled it with fennel salt. After that I baked it at 425 for 20 minutes. Perfection.
    Ian Broadie and Patrick Gould like this.
  10. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +433 / 0
    I'll have to give that a try. My family gets made at me because I give all my fish away. Over the past 11yrs I've given away about 120 or so, and kept only one for myself - and that was the first one that I caught back in '01.

I've thought about getting a smoker, but it seams like it's a lot of work for just a little amount on meat.
  11. Irafly Active Member

Those brats are good eating even after traveling umpteen miles up a river. With that though one fish is about as much as my family and I can handle. When the limit was 4 I was giving away a lot of fish and even with a two fish limit, a good weekend also sees me giving a bunch away. One always stays with me though.

Ira.
  12. Methow Active Member

Twisp, Wa.
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    The Methow River will close one hour after sunset on Friday, December 1st. Also there will be no whitefish fishery after Dec 1st
  13. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Yes it does: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/nov2912a/
  14. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    If you have a Facebook account WDFW has a Facebook profile and they are pretty good about updating the profile on rules changes.... Holy Moley Facebook actually has a functional use :eek:
  15. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    This is good. I also "liked" the WDFW Police/Enforcement page, which is always putting up great stories of dirties getting busted and pictures of overharvest and poaching related stuff
  16. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,213 / 0
    If you sign up for WDFW's email list, you will always have rule changes delivered right to your inbox and be amoung the first to know. You can even pick the types of emails you want to get.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/lists/
    Brett Angel likes this.
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,695 / 2
    Hah. You're one of the few people I never expect to see sign up for facespace.
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,695 / 2
    *whilst posting on an interwebs forum
    Irafly likes this.