Methow Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sageman, Sep 30, 2009.

1. And I went to fish the Yakima.

2. I've tried the cast and blast on the Methow, and the Grande Ronde at Schumacher but it is hard to do in one day. You get into the bird hunt and next thing you know, the day is gone. If I start the day fishing, my setter is raising holy hell in the truck letting me know it is hunting time! I'm leaving next Friday for my annual cast and blast in Montana, but that is a week long trip and after hunting pheasants and sharpies around Choteau for two days, the dogs need a rest (as do our feet) so a day floating the Missouri around Craig is just the thing. After that, alternate hunting and fishing! (I love this trip!) Rick

3. What a zoo, opening day saw over 120 anglers line wet up to mile marker 16, this does not include the guys driving around or standing around. Weekend will only be worse. Wont see me wetting line for awhile.

4. I've really not fished the Methow for steelhead very much, but I can imagine it is kind of like bird hunting. Opening weekend on Bridgeport Bar is crazy. If you are there on some weekend in November, it is deserted. I may try the Methow in November or I also hear March can be good. Rick

5. Why all the fishermen? The Messiah Obama said underemployment is down and everything is peachy; I don’t understand?

6. Sick days.

7. It's the work that we avoid
    And we're all self-employed
    We love to work at nothing all day

BTO

8. I suspect the increasing pressure on the east side rivers has a lot to do with the decline in steelhead in the Puget Sound rivers. The big S-rivers could absorb a lot more pressure than little rivers like the Methow and Klickitat. If only a fraction of the Puget Sound fly fishing population decides to go over the mountains to fish, those rivers become crowded pretty quickly. No need to blame the internet or the guides who are trying to make a living off increasingly limited resources.
    D

9. Sherlock Olmstead. :)

10. You're right, the steelhead season has been pushed hard by Pateros for economic reasons. Fishermen just happen to benefit also from having steelhead in the river as bait to bring them in.

11. Sounds like you're taking care of business:thumb:

That song is a classic.

12. the problem is too many people in thei world! mike w

13. Maybe it's the fact that most anglers have paid over a grand for there spey set ups and they are damn well going to use them whenever they can, hell try catching the same amount of fish on the skagit in a few days fishing. Many books have also set a religiouse flavor to the swung steelhead, maybe that is to blame. Myself I belong to the "if you can't beat em join em attitude."
    The good thing is that it is nothing like steelheading in the 70-80's when you could see thirty or fourty anglers on a single hole on the Puyallup or Green rivers, not to many of you remember those days, shit it was like a row of fence posts every Saturday morning on some of those drifts.
    That is some of what brought about the much better fishing ethic's of today, I can honestly say that I experiance bad ethic's once or twice a season now and back then it was down right cutthroat.
    We have it good in comparison!
    At least everyone tries to be kind and realizes that the person you see fishing is looking for the same thing you are in the day, a day on the river with a feeling of anticipation, sometimes you get the reward and all those others you see are just friends at the party!

14. Definitely getting tougher now. With so many people on the river hitting the fish and the water being as low as it is, the fish are really getting put down. Decent morning bite if you are in a good hole, but about 10:00 they are getting tough. Plenty of fish in the river, you just need to really search to find the one that is sitting in a spot that hasn't been hit yet.

15. I too remember the 70's-80's as a gear fisher crowding into the Samish, Sauk or Skagit. It was WAY worse then. As long as we are part of an ever-increasing population, we will have crowds unless you can afford to get on a helicopter and get away from it all. I too find a lot of civility among anglers today, so it is not all bad! Rick

16. Last day was the toughest yet, but we still caught fish. Most of the fish were caught in places that probably don't get fished very much the last 2 days. The couple that were caught in holes were on things that I doubt nobody else (outside my immediate fishing circle) have in their box. Stuff that was working the first couple of days wasn't working quite as well the last 2 days. I actually talked to a few guys who had not landed a fish as of midday.

Back home for me. Leave the river to the weekenders, almost wish I could be a spectator.

Have to admit the etiquette was better the last couple of days. I think the crowd changed after the first 2 days, but maybe it is just the people I ran into. People were generally happy and cordial and most were catching a fish or two. Ironic thing is that I had all of my problems when the fishing was good and we were finding fish almost anywhere we looked.

Interesting event. My Dad had been pounding a hole while I worked all the pockets above and below the hole. I came back and wanted to nymph through the hole one last time using some non-traditional flies before we left the hole. My first cast I had a steelhead come up and grab my big orange indicator (happens fairly frequently this time of year and I even have a fly for it that I wasn't using). The crazy thing is he rolled on the indicator when he took it and rolled himself up in the line. I played him for about 5 minutes trying to get the line to come unwrapped, but it was like having him snagged in the dorsal fin and he finally broke off my entire setup when he got below the hole into the fast water. I got him close enough at one point to see that he didn't have either fly in him.

17. iagree

I'm too young to have experienced "the good ol days," but from talking to quite a few people who have, it doesn't sound like they were nearly as good as everyone seems to remember. Either way, I still have yet to have a day on the water ruined by combat fishing. If I go knowing what to expect, then I'm just another guy out there looking for an excuse to be outside, doing something I love.

As far as the Methow, I've been fishing it since I was a kid because my dad's side of the family is from the valley. And in all my times fishing it, I still have yet to experience overcrowding or atrocious river etiquette. I'm sure it happens, but maybe I've just been lucky.

You will find me shamelessly nymphing it with my single hand rod in the coming month.

18. Your nymphing comment reminded me of when a couple of guys came into our small hole while we were fishing it a couple of days ago. We were nymphing and they were swinging flies. Not only did they come in and crowd our hole, but he was making comments about my nymphing and how it doesn't work to nymph and swing at the same time. So what, he comes into our hole and then expects us to change our technique to suit him?! As I posted earlier, we just went and sat on the bank until they were done working through the hole and then went back to nymphing.

19. haha... wow. i haven't experienced that kind of thing on the river, but i've definitely had quite a few "more elite" fishermen than i turn their noses up when i say nymphing suits me just fine. don't get me wrong, i love swinging. i just have yet to land a steelface via swinging methods. had a few nice bycatches though

20. Being a lover of all methods, he is right when he said that the two don't mix well, BUT that does not give an angler the right to crowd you out, that is a combat world technique. Next time remind them that he could just come down and ASK if you minded them fishing through, I have done that on many rivers and it is polite, however the holder of the hole does not allways give it up right away.
    I assume (not good to do so,, but) he was useing an uwritten law by swing fishermen that you step through and finish out the hole and then return to the top, this comes form the old days of combat swing fishing on the North Umqua. It is a way of fishing many anglers on stacked fish, it will let every one know who's got there shit RIGHT as there rod's will be bent with others standing around shuffling through!!!

Oh by the way, F*^# his comments it your choice! If he really was a great angler he could catch nearly the same W/O the bobber.