Methow Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Sageman, Sep 30, 2009.

1. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    The ironic thing is that if you were standing in one place fishing with a spinning rod/jig/float, the purist swingers wouldn't give a crap about what you are doing and probably just find other water.

Kinda weird no? ;)
  2. Brazda Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge

Ellensburg, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Is that some kind of FRENCH.

This spey angler would not give a crap either way, just ask WTF can I fish through? or figure they got it covered and move on, simple.
    I have found that everyone has there style of angling and some of each has an atitude about the others, if a guy is nymphing he is probably closer to trying the swing (than the JIG dude) and ironically will be better at it than a swinger would be at going to nymphing. Personally I think you need to be good at all methods of fly fishing and I preach that daily, I also commend those that stick to there gun's, because it is all about having a good time and fullfilling accomplishments. Going off track here---
    I have a great story about a client that once said he will slit his wrists if he has to fish with an indicator, his buddy chimed in and said I'll fish with one. As you know on the move is great nymphing. That guy was begging for a nymph rod by 10:30, I made him suffer for a couple hours,(did not want blood in my boat) eating his words, he had his best day EVER in the last three hours, even got one on a dry with his spray pole. Normally, I would not deny an angler anything but this guy was full of OPINIONS!
  3. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Brazda, I wasn't even trying to imply anything. I just think it is weird that people who gear fish with a fly rod call it fly fishing. :D

They almost act like it is purer to catch fish on fly tackle with any means necessary as long as it doesn't mean grabbing a gear rod.

Almost seems kind of elitist. Like they want to be able to walk and talk like a fly fisherman and would never ever use one of those lower class type of fishing rods.

Funny how elitist those nymphers can be. :p

I am seriously only kidding. It can be hard to tell over the internet sometimes. But I think these arguments always get blown way out of proportion. I fish with guys all the time who run indicators and eggs and I give them shit for it too. The friendly kind of shit! :)

I will admit, I am one of those types who stick to their own guns as you say. That doesn't mean that I am so stubborn that I would pass up the chance to hold a steelhead just because I was unwilling to go to the dark side.

I just have to tease the people who see the swingers as snobby purists because, like all things worth bitching about, it is a two way street.
  4. Runejl Josh

Bellingham, Washington
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    The Methow doesnt have fish in it! Ha Ha.

Why would you waste your time?
  5. Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator

Somewhere you don't know about, WA
    Ratings: +53 / 1
    The river would be twice as crowded if people stopped driving their heavy duty dodges with spey rods on the front around all day! Keep driving because every time you drove by I hooked a fish!:thumb:
  6. Scottpuck Member

North Bend, WA
    Opinions are cheap and EVERYBODY these days are experts. Pushing the opinion of oneself onto others is just poor form. If its legal in the regs, then its perfectly fine to do just that. If that conflicts with someones opinion, then that person should start lobbying to get their opinion written into law.

Im sure we would have great laws if everyone started doing that... We could all be required to step-swing-step. Obtain $240 fines for using an indicator, and be jailed for releasing a steelhead on the Methow, whereas you get death for keeping a fish on the Sky. On the Skagit, we can institute Spey only setups, however if you know how to make a single handed spey cast you can continue to fish with a single hander (of course we can leave the technique up to the warden, and if in poor form, we can obtain that citation). Oh, and since the NF stilly is all about folk lore, we can please the purists in such a way as they did on the NF Umpqua. Require only floating flies... no lead, or sinking lines.
  7. slugthug Member

Did I miss something? Isnt this thread titled "Methow Report"?
  8. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    You're obviously new to the board. Rabbit trails and pissing matches are the norm around here.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    You call that a pissing match?

Geez....What a bunch of pussies on the internet. All assholes and pussies. :hmmm:
  10. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0

Seems like you need to stop squawking on the internet like a pussy... and go fish.
  11. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Ahem.....I was hunting chukar above the Methow just north of Pateros this weekend. I snapped these pics of the river, one of them being a zoom showing guys standing around bs'ing. The river looked pretty nice and I'd like to hear how you guys did. My weekend was dedicated to hunting so I left the fly rod at home.

Cliff

Methow from Pateros Wildlife Unit
    [IMG]

[IMG]
  12. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    How was the chuckar hunting? Some of my hunting buddies were in the Brewster for quail and it was really slow-only a couple each for two days of hunting! I found quite a few blue grouse in the Methow area weekend before last. Heading to Montana Friday for opening of pheasant season over there (and wetting a line in the Missouri a coouple days as well.) rick
  13. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    I fish pretty much every day.
  14. Cliff Member

Seattle, WA.
    Rick, I'll make it simple and say it was the worst opener I've ever seen. I'm a reasonably decent hunter and my setter has a great nose, and I pounded all the places I should have, but I never saw a bird, chukar OR quail. And I hunted the Pateros unit, Indian Dan Canyon, Central Ferry Canyon of the Wells Wildlife, and Chelan Butte on the way back home. I ran into some other hunters in Pateros who said the same thing. What's aggravating about this is that this area was just rotten with quail back in the late 80's, when I first started hunting upland birds.

Cliff
  15. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    i had the same thing happen on an orange thingabobber on the methow too. makes me think
    i'm gonna peg it and put a octopus hook below it and fish it.

JD

16. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    My buddy uses an orange or pink foam rectangle with a hook tied to it, not unlike a hopper pattern. Works well for this.
  17. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Clif-that is really discouraging! My brother's group had 5 hunters and two dogs. They came back with 10 birds total, which is pretty discouraging, but not as bad as you! They got a few in Chilliwist, a couple at the Bridgeport Bar, and a few more at Central Ferry. They got 1 hun at Indian Dans, and a couple at another "secret" place. A couple bad hatch years, with wet cold weather in May and June can really knock the population down! We will have to try Othello and maybe Banks Lake area to see if it is any different there. Rick
  18. Backyard SANCHO!

The River, WA.
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    that was supposed to say 'everybody' not 'you'. sorry bout that, was half asleep.
  19. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Interesting observation from a guy who has racked up 2665 posts on a fly fishing forum. At least you're honest with yourself...that's the first step on the road to recovery.
  20. Rich Simms Active Member

Occupy Hearings!
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    If it happened to me, I would just skate or dead drift an October caddis.