Methow River to close Sept. 18 to all fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Freestone, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    My feeling is that these people fishing the methow can't pick a fish up on the D, Klick, or Clearwater, mainly because they suck, so they've resorted to cheating.:thumb:
  2. WT Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    You probably missed it, most of the Mitchell and Joyce bashing takes place on the WFF's Secret Forum.

have good fishing,
    WT
  3. Sloan Craven Active Member

NoSho, ma
    Ratings: +30 / 0

You make a good point, but I don't think anyone thinks the issue is really that simple. Sometimes people simplfy issues by giving a proper name of a that which best represents them or epitomizes them. Like a Kleenex, a Coke, an ipod......
  4. Chris Bellows aka. topwater

The Salt
    Ratings: +751 / 0
    so?

and?

i will agree that he shouldn't be blamed for the closure, but his attitude is what closed it. the attitude that rules only apply to others. above you state that "almost everybody" reads his fishing reports, so to me that means he has some influence on a large part of the northwest's fly fishing community... and that means his attitude about rules rubs off.

for a damn good reason. illegal fishing and illegal guiding are imo rational reasons to be a punching bag. but he feeds on being the "outsider" and uses it for his benefit... so these threads probably help him more than hurt him.
  5. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    well put, especially the last line!
  6. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    For whoever is expecting me to be in here sticking up for Dennis..

I am busy in NorCal fishing for steelhead for another outfitter. Since I didn't bring my laptop I get internet access only every few days. I have been out of the state, and contact with Dennis for well over a month. I didn't even talk to him in the month before I left Washington.

That means you guys know as much as I do.

You may be interested to know that the only email pictures I have gotten of Dennis' trips is of a 9-10lb Cutthroat, which Mike emailed to me.

I am not going to get involved in this as I am out of the loop and cant comment either way with anything other than wild accusations or hypothesis' made out of supposition. Why don't some of you guys who are feeding on the mob mentality borrow a set of balls and then give the guy a call instead of venting into cyberspace? His number is listed on his website at the bottom of the main page.

As far as the one comment I read about guides should be calling out other guides etc.. I am not going to be known for building my business by destroying other folks' businesses. That isn't my way, and it would never happen publicly, if I felt some sort of correction needed to happen to someone elses business.
  7. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    Personally, I hope the crest of trash-talking has past. Everything that actually needed saying, good and bad, as regards Dickson and other anglers has been said. While it's encouraging to see anglers police their own, it ought to be done with a sense of proportionality and an eye towards resolution. I have little doubt that Dickson, amongst others, will give this closure the necessary consideration.
  8. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    You became involved once you posted.

What would telling the old man that he's acting like a dickhead accomplish? You can't tell me that an educated and respectful conversation would be the outcome. He threw himself under the bus by posting what he did on his site.
  9. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +520 / 0
    I e-mailed Mr. Dickson. He communicated rather strongly that he has done nothing wrong.

Dice-k tomorow,
    cds
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    Charlie, I would love to hear his side of the story, or how he rationalizes his actions.
  11. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +520 / 0
    Pan,

E-mail or call him. I am not gonna speak for him. He did let me know that his actions were legal and he did not like my insinuation that it wasn't. Fair enough.

As far as any other rational, that was not discussed. I don't suspect it makes a difference to him what I think and vise versa.

cds
  12. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +642 / 0
    ...and four pages later we still have a river closed because too many fish are returning and being caught. The irony is crushing.
  13. Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Whitehorse Mt.
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    You've got to love fishing in WA.
  14. mjb New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    WDFW closed the river to protect a federally listed endangered species - yeah, I guess that is ironic.
  15. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +60 / 0
    If you haven't read the link that woodway put in his post above, then you should. It is the the actual regulation.
    There are some who think their personal interpretation of morality should supersede the law, or somehow makes them better than others (holier than thou?) usually these folks don't really know what they are talking about so they shout, jump to conclusions, use profanity, and bully tactics to make up for lack of common courtesy or knowledge.
    These types want to make everyone accountable to their own perceptions of the world, the one word description of these folks that comes to mind, is fascists.
    If someone is not breaking the law, then they are not outside the law, and whether you assume a position that you consider higher that the law, or not, cannot make you better or worse than anyone else.
    You don't have to look for them, they are usually right there in your face pointing a finger, cussing at you for not living your life according to their lights, so thankfully they are easy to spot.

LB
  16. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +642 / 0
    ...and the irony will continue when/if it re-opens next month.