Methow River

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by !chawycha!, Jul 22, 2002.

1. !chawycha!

!chawycha! Member

Hello,

Has anyone been fishing the Methow Rivel lately? I am going there this weekend for the first time, and would like to know what the good spots are over there, and what flies to use? I am going to stay near the Sun Mountain lodge, so any pointers on the river areas within 40 min drive would be appreciated. Also, are there any good lakes or streams to fish on over there?

Thanks,

Vlad

2. jditto

jditto New Member

haven't been there since earlier this year but i hear the water is at a good level. the mazama fly shop would have the best info. also moccasin lake always has good fish but you have to pay there. you can look at www.fishandfloat.com for info. good luck jer

3. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Mocassin Lake will be closed for the summer, and the public lakes will likely not be fishing that well due to warm temps.

Tread litely on the Methow; it holds two ENDNAGERED species, spring chinook and summer steelhead. You won't likely encounter adult steelhead yet, but some spring chinook will likely be spawning, and there will be some redds to stay out of. Many of the "trout" you'll be hooking will likely be endangered steelhead smolts, even some of the bigger specimens. Methow steelhead have a unique life-history; some smolts stay in the river up to four years and more before migrating to sea, and can get upwards of ten inches. Remember that even catch and release has some mortality associated with it, and think about that if you start hooking a lot of fish. Also check the regs to make sure you're fishing in open areas with proper gear, as the summer fishery does have some restrictions to protect chinook and steelhead.

Given that, you also might want to check some of the nearby tribs, especially the Twisp and the Chewack. Be sure to check the regs to see what and where is open, but I think I've heard the Chewack has pretty good fishing for west slope cutts. Do also keep in mind that these tribs are also home to adult and juvenile chinook and steelhead.

4. !chawycha!

!chawycha! Member

Thank you guys for your replies.