Methow Shutdown

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by jason.allen, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

So because I fish the Klick I need to learn all the crazy rules you guys have to follow?

Agreed about losing the license for violations. Doesn't that already happen?

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Considering that I have friends who have witnessed guys bonk native steelhead on the Klick, I think anyone targeting our native anadramous fishes in this state should have to pass some kind of class to partake in the resource. You have to do it for hunting... why not fishing?

3. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

and people still poach wild game, but I'm sure it is at a smaller rate compared to if people did not have to pass the hunter education class. This is a solid idea

4. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

My point is there is a big difference between knowing the general regs for the region and knowing all the regs for the entire watershed.

Hunters take a safety class. Tough to kill somebody with a fishing pole, or is that the reasoning behind the new barbless rule!

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    My experience with the hunter education course is that it was about half safety, half resource stewardship, species identification, and management. Cut out the safety portion, and teach anglers the rest.

6. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Doesn't really matter how educated people are they will still do dumb shit.

All that money to host classes would be served just fine spent on other means to promote natives

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    You're never going to eliminate maliciousness. You can really put a dent in ignorance, however.

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:

Yeah, hunters was a long time ago for me, but safety was just part of it. I think angling classes could be very useful. Do it like hunters Ed...one time requirement to get a license. Cover stuff like general rules, where to find updated information, etc.

Not perfect, but why not?

9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

And how do you pay for this? Less wardens? Increased fees?

How many poachers are just clueless vs knowingly poaching?

I like the idea but the logistics are a nightmare. Whatever test you ran would only be applicable to the entire state. You couldn't even say don't kill wild fish because you can do that on some waters.

I'd rather see that same money invested in enforcement.

10. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    It's a pay to play system: The user pays for their attendance in the class. Have it be taught by volunteers. I don't see where this mountains of expense would come from as it would likely be all classroom stuff.

Right. And the idea is to educate them on this and why it's okay in some places, and not on others.

11. David Dalan

Media:

Charge for it.

I don't think the class would be difficult.

12. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Really... one or two sessions of an hour or two a piece could cover a lot of material. Have them take a basic test, and be done with it. Finding volunteers to do this once a month or so wouldn't be remarkably difficult. I'd gladly give my time to such a cause.

13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I'm on your side with this one guys, just playing devils advocate.

Can't do a classroom for out of state anglers.

How much of a hunting license, which is much higher than angling, is because of the classes?

How many of the clueless fisherfolks would just not get a license? Of that number how many of them actually catch salmon/steelhead still not knowing the rules?

14. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    We live in the internet age. I took a very, very long, involved online class for my boater education certification/license. Something like this could be easily set up in this case for both in/out of state anglers. Spend 2hrs doing an online course with a few videos and quizes, then print out your verification and go to the local hardware store and buy your license.

None of it, I imagine. I had to pay for my hunter education course when I took it in 1995.

Tough to say. How many don't purchase licenses now? I imagine the number would be high at first, but would normalize over time. It's just like the boating certification... Many didn't get it, and got screwed when they tried to launch at popular Puget Sound boat launches this season on a few occasions. Do that with fishing, and over time, people will just do it.

David Dalan likes this.
  15. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Just curious, how many native steelhead do you guys honestly think (just guess) are killed due to anglers not following the regs/proper guidelines etc. each year on the methow?

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Not going to touch that one with a 10' pole.... There's always some mortality, intentional and not. Given that I've never seen a native fish even so much as caught/handled by another party on this river, I have no data to go from.

17. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    My suggestion was not about a class for getting a license, it was for a class about the Columbia River Endorsement: why it exists, what it does, what special rules may be in place/area and why, how to check rules, etc. This class wouldn't just apply to steelhead anglers but it is equally important to other anglers, for instance, bass anglers on the lower Columbia who can't understand/don't agree with not being able to use 2 barbed treble hooks on their Wiggle Warts when Endangered Chinook are coming in, etc. (and, yes, that was a real example that I had to argue during a WDFW Advisory Group meeting) A little education and understanding can sometimes do a lot to increase compliance with the various rules throughout the system, for all species and all anglers, not just fly guys on the UC.

And a 'class' doesn't have to mean 'classroom' as the wonderful thing called the Internet makes distance learning/online classes possible, even for out-of-state people.

Evan Burck likes this.
  18. David Dalan

Media:
    Sounds like a rule proposal to me :)

19. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've been thinking about it for the past couple years. I seem to be the loudest voice for it here on WFF as we go through this debate about a class every year. I may just go for it.

Irafly likes this.
  20. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    So its probably at most 200 or so killed??