Methow Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Caddis Skater, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Caddis Skater Member

Eastside, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Any one been up to the Methow and have a report on how it is fishing?
    Also a report on how many other people were on the river would be nice.
    I was thinking of a trip soon and have heard no reports since the opener.

:beer2:
  2. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I don't mean to be an ass hole, but why do people post question asking for steelhead reports? I understand if it's the Westside where conditions are an issue, but its steelheading people.... reports on how someone does is irrelevant to how you may or will do. Go to the river and find out. My buddies were there over the weekend and it’s a donkey show. I'd wait a couple weeks and go mid week.
  3. bankwalker Member

seattle
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    becuase a report will give you a general idea if the fishing/drive is worth it. and it is nice to know ahead of time if people are catching fish or not
  4. Caddis Skater Member

Eastside, Washington
    Well hello to you too!!! I thought this forum was used to ask any question about
    fishing and you spout off about not wanting to be and ASSHOLE !!! You sure sound like
    one with your comments. Guys like you should not reply to people asking for reports as
    I am sure you fish 250 days a year and know everything about every fishery in the state.
    or at least your buddys do. Also I am sure you asked your friends how the fishing was
    when they were over there and how many people were fishing the river, isnt that asking for
    a report? don't we all as fishermen ask this question? :confused:
  5. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Panhandle has a point - the fish are there and so are the crowds. Don't want to bring my own rock to stand on, so I won't be there.

Pan - the reason some people want reports is mostly because they're new to steelheading and just want to know that somebody's catching fish there. Pumps 'em up so they have confidence to fish it themselves. :)

Most experienced steelheaders know that if other steelheaders find good conditions and willing fish the LAST thing they will do is post it on an Internet fishing board. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flame away jents,

Brian
  6. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Geez man…….grow some skin. You won’t last long around here if you can’t take a little snarking.

I mean seriously…….that was post #2 for you.

Did it ever occur to you that as a community and forum you have to pay your dues in order to get the information you desire?

You have to give a little to get a little.

Steelhead fishing is almost never a sure thing and I agree with Panhandle. A report is worthless, as long as the river levels are fishable and it is open it is worth it.

On top of that, if some guy posted on this thread that he caught 10 steelhead yesterday on the Methow, every angler within 2,000 miles would know by tomorrow. And your trip wouldn’t be as enjoyable.

You are asking for some seriously guarded information. Fishing has always been that way and you should know that before you post threads like this.
  7. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Being polite should be the norm. Before driving that far, I would ask questions first. In my opinion, that is exactly what this site is for.

Pete
  8. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Caddis Skater,
    There were a couple of reports of sorts on the Wenatchee thread. I fished it Saturday w/ my dad. One fish to hand, cars in every pullout, guys in every fishable piece of water, and I went home early because I had a difficult time finding water that wasn't occupied.
  9. greyghost Member

Coastal Rivers, OR
    I'm sure it's fishing closely to the way it fished in 2005 since the numbers and conditions are very similar. Opening weekend 2005, some people found decent numbers of willing fish because they were rested and hadn't been fished over at all. The sustained crowds really put the fish off the bite and subsequent weeks were tough for most guys. If you know how to read water well and fish hard you may scratch out a fish or two, maybe not. Many will go home with less desire to go steelheading again. If you're thinking big number days, I would save the driving for a year with better counts.

Pete
  10. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    Just wade through the recent thread titled "Wenatchee". There are a few Methow reports in there. Crowded to the point of almost not being fun and fishing is kind of slow. Deer opener is this weekend too, so it will be wall to wall with people. If I were you, I would consider waiting to hit the Methow until after the Wenatchee opens (October 22, I believe, but check WDFW website) as I suspect that will relieve a lot of the pressure on the Methow.
  11. ChrisC Member

Ratings: +24 / 0
    Not to defend or support but the mentality of dedicated steelheaders is that the drive is ALWAYS worth it, even if it means being skunked days at a time. So when someone asks if "its worth the drive", I think it gives off a "fair weather", "short timer" label on the people who ask in that manner, rightly or wrongly.
  12. frankrutledge Guest

Caddis,
    To me it's fine to ask a question and you shouldn't have to pay dues to ask questions. However, and I know you new, but please next time you have a question, put a question make next to your question. (i.e. Methow Steelhead?) It appears that you have caught a steelhead and are giving a report. Like fish with no hands, we have no mind reading powers!
    Plus, you will need to just get over the fact that sometimes when you post stuff, you'll just get an asshole every so often. Do what I do, write there name down on a sheet of paper and when you post something later, and you get an asshole response form someone, look at the sheet and say "o'ya, that's right, he's an asshole."
    People should pm other members when they have something derogatory to say.
    F.
  13. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +717 / 2
    Would you post a picture of that list so we can all see how thin the skin really is?;)

p.s. Read sig line before taking offense.
  14. frankrutledge Guest

Don't worry PT, your on it! ;)
    F.
  15. Methow Active Member

Twisp, Wa.
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    Caddis, you can ask me anytime, just send a PM
  16. 05tacoma Member

Auburn, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Methow, thanks for being willing to share some info. Caddis, sorry you got the initial response that you received.
  17. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I call it as I see. If that makes me an asshole, then I'm an asshole. Some people appreciate getting straight shooter answers instead of getting coddled.:hmmm: Having said that...I'm sure I'm near the top of the 'ass hole list.' If I could only post here what some people PM me:p

By the way, my buddies hooked 17 and landed 8. Who cares???? By the time you get here, because you're chasing a steelhead report, the river will be blown out, or the fish won't be playing.
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,622 / 2
    i dunno, i agree with your response. sometimes tough love is the best kind. personally, i consider myself probably one of the least knowledgeable/helpful people that post regularly. being that i'm aware of that, i spend more time out being persistent in trying to get into fish rather than sitting on the interwebs looking for a freebie. if i want to ask anything, i usually head to my fly shop of choice and spend a few bucks in their shop in return.

to me, fishing has always been less about catching fish, and more about the rewards of finding them myself.
  19. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    I will have to agree 100% with Pan on this, only because steelheading is never a numbers game. You can fish a hole and your friend can walk right through the same hole and catch that one fish that was sitting there that never glanced at your fly.:confused:

When the pink thread was posted, I got many pm's on what,when,where I was catching these fish and never one thank you from anyone of them that were (new to the board). Pretty soon I was giving many asshole responses.

I rarely rely on fishing reports as I am more focused on flows and fish count numbers, since after that it is up to the "angler" in all of us to bring one to hand.
  20. Methow Active Member

Twisp, Wa.
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    05, no problem always willing to help those that ask.