Methow Steelhead

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Josh Brower, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone have any info on if there are fish being caught right now? i am planning on doing a trip for a few days to the methow, but dont want to go get kicked in the nuts with no fish. PM if you want, dont want spots, just looking to see if it is worth the drive.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,612 / 0
    Josh,

It might be red hot today and totally dead the day you arrive. Or it might be dead today and red hot beginning the day you arrive. One thing consistent about steelheading is the near total lack of consistency. And if making a long drive and getting skunked is like a kick in the nuts to you, you ought not go steelhead fishing. Seriously. Getting skunked is as normal, and sometimes more so, than catching fish when it comes to steelheading. You need to come to terms with this if you intend to fish for steelhead.

Sg
  3. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    getting skunked is not a kick in the nuts, spending $100 on gas to risk it and get skunked is more like a kick in the nuts. i worked 3 years to hook my first, i am used to the skunks of steelhead.
  4. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Josh,

Salmo is right on regarding the very real possibility of getting skunked when steelheading. There are times that one can go fishing many times over weeks or even months and get skunked. Don't get me wrong, there are also times that you can go fishing for steelhead and land one in the first 15 minutes on the river or have the mythical 3+ fish day. However, it is also just as likely that you will go fishless. Remember, steelhead are not like resident trout. They don't behave like resident trout either. They can move into a run, stay a few minutes, a hours, or a few days, and then move on. They can also just keep moving through and not stop at all eventhough it looks like a perfect run to you.
  5. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    i get the skunk of steelheading, back to the topic, are there enough fish generally being caught to justify driving over? i get it may be good one day and not so the next.
  6. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Josh,

Those of us who chase steelhead either exclusively or nearly exclusively never really worry about how many fish have been getting hooked. If there is a reasonable chance that there are fish in the river, we are more than willing to drive 3 or 4 hours to fish for a day. Heck, most of us are more than willing to drive over the mountain, spend 3 hours driving, and fish for 3 hours, and then drive back over the mountain because we had something to do in the morning and have to work the next day.

In other words, to us it is always worth making the drive if there is a reasonable chance there are fish in the river. Since there are fish in the Methow, of course it is worth driving over. However, if you are expecting to catch fish every day you are there, you are going to most likely be disappointed, which is what Salmo and I were getting at.
  7. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I've reached my tolerance with this shit. DUDE! (people in general!) It's steelheading. Your signiture reads "steelheader." Have you ever seriously steelhead fished? Obviously not, or you wouldn't be asking such a ..... question. Yes, there are fish in the god damn river-- today, tomorrow, the next day, yesterday, etc..... Get your ass over there and find out like a "Steelheader."

On second thought, stay home. :beathead:
  8. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,618 / 2
    I drove 4hrs (on a whim) to fish a river that I fished once before (from a drift boat 2yrs ago), had little idea how to even drive to it (didn't even bring a gazetteer) and my buddy Sean and I landed 4 steelhead. We also walked about 8-10mi between our two half days of fishing looking for fishy water

If you're not willing to do the work, stay home and not "risk it"
  9. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    i guess i forgot to add that i am fresh out of high school, so spending that much on gas right now is difficult for me to do. i was just looking for a report or two, but i guess that is out of the question.
  10. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    There are fish in the river. Fish are being caught in the river. I don't have much sympathy for your economic situation just because you're out of high school. Most people in this country right now are broke. Go fishing or think about it.
  11. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I lost a good job 2 months ago due to layoffs and am now making about half what I was before. Find someone to split gas and make it happen. I promise you it's possible
  12. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    i dont want sympathy, or need it, or was i asking for it, i wanted a report.
  13. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    It's always worth it to go fly fish for steelhead. You have to love the process. And, in that respect, we never get "skunked."

Leland.
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    We've been trying to tell you that reports don't matter. I went to the methow in 2007 and 2008 based on good (outstanding actually) reports and didn't have a single grab either time I went.
  15. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +836 / 1
    I actually take it as a challenge that no fish are being caught. I'll bet the others do too. One thing for sure, bad reports or no reports mean more fishing water.

Leland.
  16. DaMurph Member

Graham, WA
    Deja Vu all over again!
  17. fastpitchpete Member

Kirkland, WA.
    My report is 12 degrees this morning, ice in the guides, plenty of cold fingers, a very pretty sunrise, and no fish. Hope this helps.
  18. Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

snohomish, washington
    Thanks Pete. definitely more helpful than the other posts.
  19. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,172 / 0
    Josh, the Methow and Wenatchee have been very slow. Might as well stay home and fish a closer river. You will probably still get skunked, because that's steelheading but you'll still have money in your pocket.
  20. Sageman Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    I've fished it the last 2 days. It is pretty tough right now. There are certainly fish in the river and fish being caught, but it is not great fishing right now. We fished some of our known spots this morning and got a couple of fish and then floated from Carlton down about 4-5 miles. We only talked to one fisherman on the float who had hooked a fish. We did better today overall, but got almost all of our fish out of known spots where we have hooked fish on dozens of previous days. If you don't have a lot of river knowledge, you're going to find it pretty tough.

Yesterday was really tough. We got just a couple of fish between us and we know the river very well and fish it a lot.

The river is super low, so there just aren't that many good spots. We had trouble finding fishable water on our floats and in most cases these holes already had people in them.

PM me if you want more specific information.

Also, watch the weather reports. We were out at first light yesterday and it was well below freezing. This morning we didn't bother going out before 9:00.

I'm in Wenatchee tonight and planning on fishing said river tomorrow.

A lot of the other guys are right though, it can change from day to day. We usually don't see weather this cold until November and I generally find that once the fish get acclimated to the colder temps the bite can turn back on. Also, some more water in the river may help. I just wouldn't get the idea that because the run is so strong you are going to get into the fish. Getting skunked is a very real possibility, especially if you have limited experience on the river.