Methow Valley lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ray helaers, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Can anybody give me some dope about NON-flyfishing lakes in the Methow Valley area. I'm trying to give some advice to some friends who are taking their young children camping in the area. Is there good shore acces at Pearrygin or Patterson? What about fishing docks? How about some of the smaller lakes in the area?

These are very young girls, who will likely be soaking worms (or power bait if the worms prove too icky or sympathetic). They won't have any floating device (unless someone can recommend a place where boats can be rented). They don't absolutely need to catch fish, I suppose, but that would certainly be nice, so I'm looking for good odds here. I want to know where the crackers are slaying them.

Thanks for any help.

2. Boane

Boane New Member

Check Alta lake. I haven't been there for a while but if memeory serves me well, it would be a good one for kids.

3. jackchinook

jackchinook Member

Media:
    A few that come to mind immediately (I'm probably forgetting some) are Pearrygin, Black Pine, Buck, Alta and Leader. Pearygin has a state park with docks, swimming area. There was a resort up there (not Derrys which is closed) but another one. I can't remember if they closed or not, it was past the state park. They did rent boats and stuff. Also, Blackpine, which has a couple smaller docks and small brook trout. Buck lake is really similar with put-and-take rainbows. Shore access is there but limited. Alta Lake has a state park and some shore access, same with Leader which is actually over Loup Loup, but it has good access, trout and nice spiny rays. You'd need a boat at Patterson. Hope that helps.

4. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Thanks you guys. That's exactly what I was looking for. another demonstration of what a great resource this place is. :thumb:

5. Boane

Boane New Member

Check with the WDFW to see if they have stocked some lakes up there too. I did that to get my son hooked a few years ago.

6. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

we are going to alta this weekend. i think the water is way down. mike w

7. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Ray, for my money, send them to Pearrygin, call ahead to get a rsvp for a good camp site at the state park there. Paved boat access, sandy beach, huge grass play area, showers, very clean. This is where a lot of the locals go to cool off in the summer. Good hiking and deer everywhere.

My kids are in high school now, but I used to take them to the lake in time for the evening fish every day; the planter fish will start moving in swarms as the sun gets low and for 1/2 hour to hour at sunset it is non-stop for 6" to 8" 'bows.

Direction of where to fish: as you are facing the lake, to the far right of the park is the boat access with a nice dock; walk past the boat dock about 150 ft and you are now out of the park and into the adjacent property occupied by a cantina snack bar. They have a dock which ends in a great float with a picnic table on it; you can see it from the end of the boat dock. I used to buy the kids some pop, hot dogs and carmel popcorn at the cantina and take it out to the picnic table to set up and eat and fish until dark. A lot better than the boat dock as there is to much traffic there. The kids will love it, and they can run around a bit, feed the wild ducks, and still get back to the rod when they have a bite. They are all close enough to keep and eye on, and still not hook each other or you, and you are close enough to re-bait and sort out bird’s nests. Now and then you'll catch a good size fish, or a turtle or something, but always lots of 'bows and everyone with smiles. I know I used to laugh my butt off as the kids got so excited watching the fish rising all around them. :thumb:

8. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

One I would have gone with Black Pine, as previously mentioned.

MB