methow

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jditto, Sep 9, 2002.

1. jditto New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    howdy gents, any one fish the methow lately? headed that way soon and wondered if there was any action? thanks
  2. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Yeah. Fished it with some members of my club. Fished it 4 weeks ago. Lots of caddis. The secret was small orange nymphs to imitate the caddis. Those that figured that out did well. I didn't figure that out. I caught a nice sucker, though! We floated Twisp to Carlton. The guy tearing it up fished basically right around Winthrop.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)
  3. jditto New Member

what was that nymph like? what size? i can stop in a shop, but i would rather tie them. thanks
  4. Sparse Grey Hackle Member

Fayetteville, NY, USA.
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Regular thin caddis are size 16. We found a stretch with the case-builders. These were mostly in shallow runs. If you could tie a nice weighted fly like a "Bloody Mary" in orange, you'd probably be sittin' pretty. I would probaby arm myself with weighted orange floss soft hack patterns next time. Getting down low was key.

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)
  5. coachdean Member

Federal Way, WA, US.
    The Methow is awesome. It's a gorgeous little river that is a new favorite of mine. I was there 3 weeks ago and fished right around Winthrop for a few hours on my way out of town. In a little over 2 hours, I caught 3 (and lost 2) nice bows. I initially started fishing with a dryfly and a nymph dropper, but soon went with just the nymph. It was a green-bodied bead-head that I found in the sportman's shop in Winthrop and the fished seemed to like it just fine.

By the way, I also goofed around on the upper twisp with some drys and caught a few dinks (smolts more than likely), but I heard after the fact that the first few hundred yards of the Twisp are pretty good for cutthroat.

I'm looking forward to going back. :pROFESSOR
  6. jditto New Member

thanks fellas. ill let you know how it goes. :HAPPY