Metolius -- Oct. 13-15

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by goose biot, Oct 17, 2005.

1. goose biot

goose biot Member

Made the trek to central Oregon for the first time in about 5 years and decided to concentrate on the Metolius. What an amazing river: crystal clear water, tons of easy access, easy wading, quality fish and an incredible setting. As usual on the Metolius, it takes some work to find feeding fish, but the effort is worth it.

The weather on Thursday and Friday was relatively warm, with a mixed bag of steady (but light) hatches all afternoon . . . midges, olives, a green drake or two, various caddis, some PMDs, . . . but nothing in a quantity for the fish to really key on.

Best fishing was just before dark, when fish started taking the October caddis pretty consistently. Lots of refusals, plenty of hookups and a even a few rainbows up to about 18" landed.

Saturday was cold and windy at times, and the hatches were almost nonexistent. In 6 hours on the river below Wizard Falls I never saw a rising fish. Nymphing dredged up some whitefish but no trout.

Some kokanee are still in the river but not so many that they get in the way of the trout fishing.

Attached Files:

2. Jim Jones

Jim Jones flytosser

Media:
    Nice report and pics. Thanks for sharing. I HAVE to get down there and fish that water. So many streams, so little time.

Jim Jones

3. ncitrez

ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Nice pics and report. That's one pretty 'bow.

Like flytosser, I need to get down there..... soon.

4. HMCFisherman

HMCFisherman Member

This time of year is perfect on that river. It can get cold, but the crowds are long gone. One great afternoon in October, I didn't see another person.

5. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks for sharing your report. The Metolius is truly a gem, I try to fish it at least once a year. I usually go in June, during the green drake hatch. I think it would be hard to find a more beautiful place to wet a fly line anywhere!:thumb:

6. Skilly

Skilly Member

It was my river until I moved back up to Washington. This time of the year take some small glo bugs fished DEEP, and hang on. Last spring my best was a 30" bow.
    The winter is my fabvorite time on the Metolius I used to fish it at least once a week.

Skilly

7. goose biot

goose biot Member

wrong thread!