MF snoqualmie 8/20

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by t_law, Aug 22, 2013.

1. t_law

t_law Active Member

I fished the MF yesterday from about 10am-2pm and had a pretty slow day by MF standards. I always make it up there at least once a year around this time to enjoy the awesome scenery and put the 2wt. to good use. Usually a bushy dry fly is the ticket (hasn't really mattered which pattern in the past) and it's pretty constant top water action all day long. Yesterday was not the case, the little guys made me work for it and I only brought 2 to hand on a Griffiths Gnat. All in all a good day though, I really enjoy going up there and wetting a line. I ran into 3 other fisherman, anyone from the board on the MF yesterday?

Stew McLeod likes this.
  2. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Just checked the flows on the MF and they look great. How did you find the water?

3. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Stew -
    If you just drive up the Middle Fork road, the water is hard to miss.
    D:)

4. t_law

t_law Active Member

Water was low and made for easy wading. I found some really nice runs and deep pools but the fish didn't want to play nicely.

5. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    Funny man Dick ... :) .. darn English language anyway. How was the water ...would have been a better choice ...

Anyway, back to t_law. ... Did you throw any sub-surface stuff at them or just dries?

Stew

6. t_law

t_law Active Member

Went to tie on a small bead head and realized I only had my dry fly box with me. I think I might have dredged up a few on the nymph.

7. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    You don't have to dredge 'em; just put a 12-20" dropper off that bushy dry with a 14 or 16 beadhead and you're good. Last year around this time I found a run where I caught whiteys on a dropper, swung and twitched, until I left them alone.

Richard Olmstead and Kent Lufkin like this.
  8. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    I never got anything over 10" on dries up there. A dropper can up the average size a bit though it's never as easy as it sounds.

9. good samaritan

good samaritan New Member

I find that the forks of the Snoqualmie slow way down as this month progresses. July just fishes much better. I don't know where the fish go or they just don't want to bite like they did earlier in the summer.

Brookie_Hunter likes this.
  10. Ralph Walker

Ralph Walker New Member

My daughter and I were on the SF yesterday with better success. we fished parachute Adams, (hi-vis as I am blind!) and small EH caddis. nothing of huge size but my daughter caught her first three fish on a fly rod and had a blast. All in all we landed a dozen in a few hours. Beautiful evening as well.

Greg Price and Brookie_Hunter like this.
  11. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Hi Ralf,

Great news to hear you got your daughter into fish on a fly rod. How old is she? How long did you fish? If she is young, how did you keep her interest in fishing?

12. Ralph Walker

Ralph Walker New Member

Greg, sorry for the delay as business took me out of town! She has caught a few fish in the past on a fly but mainly trolling around the small lakes. To clarify this was the first in a river for her!. She is leaving soon to college and has fished and hunted with me for several years. I think the thing that kept her interests up was that dad caught the first one and it was game on from there! she did out fish me so needless to say the ride home was pleasant. Revenge and good time next week hopefully

13. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    I've seen that too when the water gets real low and slow like it is now. The fish are often there but they're real spooky with barely a ripple in the water and they can see you coming from a mile away. Longer, finer leaders and some stealth are required.

14. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    The beauty of late summer and fall on the small skinny water is that as it slows down you tend to not need to stand as close to get the drift right. Seasons change and we are expected to as well!

15. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Hi Ralf,

Glad for you that your daughter can share fly fishing with you. Family fun is high on the priority list. Good job.