MF Snoqualmie last Thursday

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayH, May 7, 2013.

1. Jay,

Thanks for the pic. It is making me anxious to get back on the SF in July.

I love the little fisheez in da little streams. They attack dry flies with abandon.

My 2 weight sees more action than any of my larger rods.

My pic is a typical cuttie that I catch on the upper reaches of the SF.

JayH and Kent Lufkin like this.
  2. Not a great shot to show the entire fish, but this was a 11-12" MF Cutt from a few years ago. Biggest I've personally seen. They don't rise with reckless abandon the way the smaller fish do...

Attached Files:

Stew McLeod and Kent Lufkin like this.
  3. No they do not.

4. Here is one of the largest I have seen on any fork of the Sno:

SF-cut.JPG

Itchy Dog likes this.
  5. If it's the purity of the water from the westside rivers that keeps them small, then why are there other S rivers, or just other rivers on the westside with larger resident fish?

6. If it's the purity of the water from the westside rivers that keeps them small, then why are there other S rivers, or just other rivers on the westside with larger resident fish?

7. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368148651.237573.jpg

Here's another one I got is this a west lope? I'm catching these big guys above the bridge. I put lots of time on the middle fork I've been blessed.

8. Joe that's a gorgeous fish, especially when caught that far up the river.

Stew

Joe Goodfellow likes this.
  9. I'm going with you next time......

10. That looks like a Westslope to me. Nice fish, too. A buddy of mine lives on the SF in town and caught a 15 incher a couple years ago.

11. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368164546.397541.jpg

Here's what the spot looks like

Stew McLeod likes this.
  12. Nice fish! I haven't caught anything above probably 11-12" on the SF.

Were those all caught sub-surface?

13. That's n incredible fish Joe. Can I ask you which bridge you are referring to when you say "above the bridge"? Thx.

14. I suspect there are a few factors that enter into this, the main one being that those other rivers have anadromous fish that provide a nutrient source (and perhaps genetics for larger fish) that is not found above the falls of the Snoqualmie. Also, those rivers have lower gradient, more nutrient rich stretches lower in their drainages that fish can make use of in certain times of the year. That being said, there are still precious few resident trout of much size in any of the S rivers.

D

Steffan Brown and Kent Lufkin like this.
  15. Looking at the photo Joe posted, if that's the MF it's pretty small, leading me to believe its above the footbridge at Dingford Creek, quite a ways up.

K

16. All my largest fish on the SF (and including that one in the picture caught by a friend) we caught on dries.

Last year is the first in a few years I did not catch a 12+inch fish on any trip to the SF.

Stew

17. Please don't answer this question :) ...

18. Close but no cigar kent water was really low in August.

19. You know it's that one bridge goes over the water

20. Oh, that one! :)