MF Snoqualmie last Thursday

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayH, May 7, 2013.

1. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Here's one from a couple years back.
    [​IMG]

There was a guy--troutingham--that had a pic of an absolute hog from the SF in the gallery. Like 20+ inches. It's not there anymore.

2. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Mr Lufkin has a picture of probably the largest SF trout I've seen. Don't be shy Kent, post that pic!

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Since you asked so nicely Jesse! Troutingham's was significantly larger than this guy though.

K

[​IMG]

4. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    bragger

Itchy Dog and Kent Lufkin like this.
  5. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I can't speak for the NF but there are some beautiful fish in the MF and SF, you just have to put in the time on the water to find them. Sorry no picture but I picked up a nice 14" Cutt on the SF in Oct 2012.

6. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

I believe there is more to the story than just limited natural productivity governing the size of the cutthroat in the middle and south Fork of the Snoqualmie. I grew up in North Bend in easy biking distance of both the middle and south forks and those were my home waters where I began my fly fishing journey. During the 1960s my records showed that for a typical summer I would average approximately 5 fish/hour with better rates on the South Fork than the Middle Fork though the Middle Fork fish were larger. The typical middle fork fish were 10 to 14 inches while the south Fork fish were 9 to 12 inches in length. My best fish every year would be at least 16 inches from either system with the best fish during that decade breaking the 20 inch barrier.

Were the forks of the Snoqualmie more productive 50 years ago (God am I that old??) than to day? Maybe; the middle fork has suffered damage from logging and the South Fork has been impacted by the highway and extensive dikes. But the real point here is that at least the western Washington streams of North Puget Sound are quite capable of growing significant numbers of decent size resident trout. With little effort I can think of more than a dozen streams in the area other than the forks of the Snoqualmie where I have caught resident trout similar in size those that I found 50 years ago in the Middle and South Forks of the Snoqualmie.

Curt

Steve Call and Kent Lufkin like this.
  7. jesgal

jesgal Jessica

Home Page:
    Great thread! I've been wondering about new places to fish in the Puget Sound. I'll be out there tomorrow, I consider myself lucky when I get to fish my 3wt. Thank you!

8. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Media:
    Runoff will make those rivers high and murky right now. Especially with the hot week that we have had. You might want to wait until late June/early July to fish them.

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    All the Snoqualmie forks are running clear right now but are high and cold thanks to runoff. If the forecast rain moves in tomorrow night, they'll color up quickly.

The conventional wisdom is that the forks start coming into shape after the Fourth of July. While that's not always true and it IS possible to catch a fish there before then, for the most part, a trip up there these days is most likely gonna mainly be a chance to practice your casting on moving water instead of a lawn.

K

Porter and The Duke like this.
  10. JayH

JayH Member

Yeah, way too high for fishing right now. I'm gonna run up there and hike out the Pratt River valley tomorrow to scope out possible fishing places once the water goes down. Anyone wanna go with?

11. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    PM sent.

K

12. squaretail

squaretail Respect the FISH

Home Page:
    I caught this fish on the South Fork of the Snoqualmie a couple summers ago. There are large fish in there but not many. This fished pushed 21" and my largest since is about 15".

Attached Files:

Skysoldier and Matt Baerwalde like this.
  13. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Dry fly?

14. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    A couple years ago a few very large (abnormally so for the SF) fish were reported. A guy I know found one dead and showed me a photo--a big rainbow similar in size to the one Squaretail posted above. As it turns out they were escapees from private rearing ponds out east of North Bend a short ways. Anyone have more intel on that?

15. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    This pond is about 100 yards from the NF of Snoqualmie. Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 12.30.31 AM.png

16. Matt Baerwalde

Matt Baerwalde ...

Media:
    Yes, there is a private hatchery on Boxley Creek, and yes, fish sometimes escape.

Itchy Dog likes this.