Micro Guides?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by darik, Mar 16, 2012.

1. darik

darik guy without a clever handle

Media:
    Anyone ever fished with or built a fly rod with them? I'm building an 8'6" 5wt Batson RX8+, and just stumbled across micro guides (or mini guides). The philosophy sounds interesting, but I can't find many user reviews specifically toward their use in flyfishing.

I'm an intermediate flyfisher/caster (18 years) and rod builder (8th rod) if it helps. I don't expect a huge difference with the micro guides and I'm not fanatical about reducing total rod weight, but if it's enough to notice when you're casting it might be worth it.

D

2. darik

Media:
    Uh, now that I look a little more... I think they're too small for a fly line, let alone a line-to-backing knot. Maybe that's why I can't find anything lol.

3. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    ya to small of loops

4. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

true micro guides of 4mm or less probably won't work because of the ring diameter. Micro style guides however like the pacbay minnima 4's are my go to single foot guides on flyrods now days. The size 6 equals about a wire size 2 and the 5 equals a wire #1. I use the 6's for customers going loop to loop and 5's who use knot connections as the runners. The minnima's have a larger ID than a regular ceramic ringed guide, weigh roughly the same as a standard wire guide and shoot line extremly well.

5. darik

Media:
    Ah, thank you. That clears up a lot, I thought I was finding conflicting info. I like the look and the idea and it would be fun to build something a little different. I assume you're talking about line-to-leader knots rather than line-to backing knots? I use a looped leader connection and a knot to the backing. Do you still use a standard sized stripping guide, or do you downsize them as well? (I assume you still use one or two to straighten the line path from the reel toward the micros.)

6. NIrodneck

NIrodneck Active Member

I use a normal size 12 (6wt and less) stripper and then a #8 minnima 4 and then my runners to the tip. I also use the minnima braced tip with this setup.

7. IFLYSW

IFLYSW New Member

There found mostly on ultra light spinning rods at least that is what i found.