Micro Mayfly Ntmph

Discussion in 'Patterns' started by Davy, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    This is a pattern popularized in NoCal especially on the lower Sacramento river.My son did quite well last year with it on the Yakima.

#18,20,22 TMC 200 hook

Gudebrod 10/0 thread- light olive ( for the body)
    extra small gold wire (rib)

Tail= brown hen saddle fibres

wingcase= 5 crystal flash fibres
    legs- brown hen saddle( layed under crystal flash)
    thorax= ICE brown ultraviolet dubbing

Attached Files:

2. Frogpoop New Member

Dearborn Mich
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    yep that is a trout smasher for sure......nice job looks like I may have to try that one
  3. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    Davey,

I'm with Frogpooop on this one. Gonna have to tie some of those myself. Just to be sure I remember who showed the dressing to me I may have to add some JC nails somewhere.

REE
  4. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    REE= " Micro" JC nails

Thanks ! and yes, do tye some- they are a killer bug- I personally have seen my son nailing fish with them while others (me :rofl: ) used other bugs and got few or none- I also tye them with more of chartruese body- like a Chartruese Copper John.

Only thing is; anymore I need a microscope to tye the darn things on. :beathead: :beathead:

I bought some ( actually a bunch) antique "blind eye" trout hooks- down to size 20- gonna try tying some with leader loops attached to solve this problem. :thumb:

Soon as I get to them I will post some.

davy
  5. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    comes from the great mike mercer. If you sub some wire for the body you have a hell of a copper john. Tie in with some bright orange, yellow, chartruese. Change it up a bit for preswsured waters.
  6. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR

ahhh !! Mike Mercer-- I never di know the originator- thanks for that.

Yes indeed,some of those box compartments are "full" of Micro Mays and Copper Johns- especially the chartruese and reds.

Very similar patterns.

davy
  7. John Forsyth New Member

Davis, CA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I live in Northern CA and have been using these patterns for a few years. They are very successful. I actually just emailed Mike Mercer at The Fly Shop and he gave me the original pattern which is a litter different, but probably doesn't matter a lot. The keys are a very thin body, fat abdomen and oversized bead. He likes to use epoxy on the wingcase, like several other of his patterns.
  8. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    yup, did 'em from memory - I am sure different is being kind -LOL

The ones my son buys down there are tiny tiny tiny ,and then even tinier than that.

davy