"Mid Rock" Off D.P. On The Snoqulamie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bucktail, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Bucktail

Bucktail New Member

I fished for summer steelhead behind "Mid Rock" off D.P. on the Snoqualmie yesterday immediately prior to last light of the day. This shallow water fishery (3 to 4 feet) can be quite reliable during the early evening as the fish tend to move into that stretch from deeper water. Hooked and released a nice 6 lb summer steelhead on my home tied Skunk pattern. Since I took a nice fish up there several weeks ago, I'll be in the C & R mode for the rest of the season. I consider more than one of these fish to be too precious to kill. I'll be up there several times again this week for another try. That area should produce some exciting fishing during the next 4 to 6 weeks. Frankly, I prefer the early evening hours at this time of year as the crowds are usually gone and you can generally fish in relative solitude (but watch out for those pesky mosquitos).

Bucktail

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    C n R is a good mode to be in, but these hatchery fish are meant to be bonked. If left alone they will try to breed with wild fish. But if it's a hatchery fish,it was probably headed for Tokel Creek hatchery.

Jim

3. Bucktail

Bucktail New Member

Jim:

I'm well aware of the comments you have posted, however, my purpose in releasing the fish up there at this point foward is to give other fisherman the opportunity to experience the same thrill. Nothing quite compares to a fiesty summer run steelhead on a fly oufit. Incidentally, that 6 lb. fish I hooked, caught and released last Saturday night was a hatchery fish.

Bucktail