Middle Fork Snoqualmie

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by TroutTamer, Oct 24, 2002.

1. TroutTamer

TroutTamer Member

Ok I know there has to be some decent sized fish in this stream.. Just not where I am looking....

It's so convenient being close to Seattle and all, some has to know a decent spot??

Hob and I have hit a few spots but have only caught "bait" and a handfull of 6-7" fish... We have fished the stretch near the biggest bridge, and up by the middle fork trail head.. not much luck at either spot..

anyone frequent this stream???

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Your spots are probably fine, but let me make a few suggestions...

Go (wade) farther from the road\tral.
    If you're not finding fish, keep moving.

For the bigger fish, here's what I've found:
    Look for 'frog water' - long, slow, deep tailouts\pools\runs. Fish a bead head woolly bugger (black or olive) cast to the far bank, let it sink and strip back in. Experiment with retreives.

I was out last weekend and found most of my fish (not just the big ones) in that same type of water. The fast water, riffles, and the pocket water just didn't seem to be holding fish. If they were there, they just weren't feeding at all. If I had the time, I should have tried a dead drifted nynph fished close to the bottom just to be sure...

I get a few big ones on dries out there, but only after sorting through lots of 4 to 10 inchers...

Remember that the big fish are a little more careful. If your working some fish that are rising, you'll find the you can catch back to back little guys but most of the time the big guys get spooked. I'll pull out 4 or 5 fish from a spot, but once the action starts slowing, instead of working hard to get a few more little guys to bite, I just move on.

3. TroutTamer

TroutTamer Member

Excellent thanks..

I was having pretty good luck with size 16 copper johns, the really liked the red wrapped ones... I will have to move around a bit more, we just got up there late and it was dark within an hour and half.. bad planning...

Never occurred to me to toss on a bugger.. what size do you recommend?

Thanks

4. 808fishin

808fishin New Member

I haven't been out there since the ending part of September. When we were at the area near the trailhead, the water was really low and clear. It didn't take much to spook the fish in each pool. Earlier in the season, like around August, I had prety good luck just fishing dries. In the lower water at the ending of September, I had pretty good luck fishing dries and droppers. I had been using about a size 12 royal wulff and a size 14 or 16 (I don't remember) pheasant tail or copper john. I fished mostly the heads of pools, trying to make sure I approach form down stream. There were time where I could see the fish following my dropper, even without my sunglasses on. It's pretty cool. Although, like you I caught many in the 6" range, but a also quite a few in them 8"-10+" range. But like someone mentioned above, definitely keep moving and try to cover a lot of water if you find that the fishing is slow.

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I think a 10 is good or in that range. Most of the time with the low water, you can do fine with floating line and just a plain bugger, but in some of the deeper or faster runs a sink tip or a bead head helps it get down faster. Aslo try just dead drifting them and letting then hang in the current for several seconds before bringing them in. Otherwise, as I said, short quick strips can work very well.