Midge vs Chironomid

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Top in my class, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Wasnt really sure if this post belongs in stillwater or the fly tying section. Thought i would give this a try.

So my question for all of you great fly fisherman is what is the difference between a midge and a chironomid? In my fly fishing books they look the same. But i feel like their is a huge difference
    Are they different patterns or is it the habitat they live in?

Also is a brassie just a chironomid pattern? not really sure what a brassie is and i hear about them a lot.

Thanks a lot,
    Spencer

2. They are the same thing. they are more commonly called midges. Chironomid is the scientific name. I think they use it as a pre-fix to other sub species. I don't know the names of any sub species. I think a brassie passes as a midge emerger. Though I don't know a lot of what I am talking about haa

3. midge = chironomid

chironoimid = midge

Brassie: This nymph is a general purpose pattern that suggests midge or caddis larva. The attractive silhouette, the flash of the copper and the undulating peacock collar are all effective in catchingtrout. Fly tiers now use various colors of copper wire to create brassies, with red a popular winter tailwater choice.

The brassie was developed for the demanding conditions of the South Platte River in Colorado. Copper wire's weight, gets the nymph faster to the bottom where the larva are. Brassies can bedead-drifted or fished as a dropper on a larger fly or indicator.

reference

http://www.flyfishohio.com/Brassie.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironomidae

http://insects.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/~ethanbr/chiro/

http://www.diptera.info/photogallery.php?album_id=71

4. They are the same. My labradors AKC name is Chironomid, and her call name is Midge.

5. I think most (including myself) refer to a chironomid as a midge larva (bloodworm) and pupa, once it gets to the surface it becomes a midge emerger as it
    sits on top and flies away a midge adult. Same bug, different stages and patterns, but all are important.

6. midge = sweet call for your lab !

Heres a video i like of the

blood worm - pupa - adult -

notice the white gills as the pupa rises .

7. Insects of the order Diptera include a diverse number of families, and the family Chironomidae is one of them. Mosquitoes (Cuculidae) and craneflies (Tipulidae) are other families within that order. Other families include blackflies, no-see-ums, and snipe flies. There are ]many genera within the family Chironomidae possibly as many as fifty here in Washington state. ROGER, THIS SOUNDS LIKE A JOB FOR TAXON!!!
    Midge is simply the common name for any small fly, while chironomid has a special meaning; an insect of the family Chironomidae. The name chironomid can be, and is, applied to all life stages (larva, pupa and adult) of any member of that family.

8. Preston, you still amaze me with your knowledge.

9. Thats awesome, thanks a lot guys.

10. Really cool video...those dudes can really ascend quickly. Makes me re-think retrieve rates :hmmm:

11. Mark and Preston hit it on the head! We can imitate the larva stage (bloodworm) with a San Juan Worm, then the pupa can be from #22-#10 in a rainbow of colors. This is where a throat pump comes into play. Black with a red rib is a good place to start, then as they start to wiggle to the surface, Phil Rowley's chromie is a great pattern to use, it is shiny to imitate the trapped air to help the pupa rise to the surface. Then in the film, a raccoon, Griffith's gnat or Lady McConnell are good emergers to try. Fishing with bloodworms and pupa patterns under an indicator is a blast! This time of the year in the lakes it's the way I fish, cold water, not much hatching, lazy trout but the bloodworms are always wiggling down there and when the temps rise a bit midges do hatch all year. Start with your chironomid 1' off the bottom and wait for that indicator to move or go down!