Midpriced Trout Rods: Loop Multi vs Scott A2 vs Winston Vapor etc.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lotuseagle, Jun 12, 2008.

1. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

Media:
  2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    http://kiene.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=7340&highlight=8wt

Good call, SteelieD

I bought this 8wt XP from this site for a friend... it cost me $200 + shipping 15.

Not try to stump somebody here... Weather the statement is true or not... you know that if you are in this field long enough. And of couse, as Porter mentioned, "timing" is important factor because there are more demanding in some season than the others (There are lot's people buying light rods now for summer trout fishing). I would say I appreciate Kent's well thought and input.

3. stan

stan Banned or Parked

No need to apologize for voicing your opinion. He stated you can regularly buy a z axis at %50 off or more. MY schill comment was just me getting caught up in another poster calling him a schill for sage in a another big post. The beginning of a ebay bid does not count.

$525 for a 9 foot 5 weight z axis http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/showthread.php?t=21812
    Do a ebay search for z -axis on ONLY completed transactions and get back to us, how many are under $330?

4. stan

stan Banned or Parked

Yuhina, way to go! Good deal!
    Was worried their for a second that you bought the unethical guides Sage and would be out a warranty! ("RJ")

5. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Can anyone answer this question. Can the second owner send the warranty card in, even though they were not the original purchaser of the actual rod?

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

Stan the Man ...Not!

7. Oggopoggo

Oggopoggo New Member

If you're thinking of getting the Multi over the AEG Series 9ft 5wt, go AEG hands down. Anyone that has casted the Loop Grey Line 9ft 5wt knows that it was an unbelievable rod. I'm not completely positive on the retail price of the Loop Grey Line..somewhere between $650-$700 before the Opti Line replaced that series. The AEG is virtually the exact blank..identical with new components for $370.

The action is similar to my XP 5wt but with a slightly stiffer taper in the butt for single hand underhand casting. I have the Greyline, Multi, Opti, and AEG in a 5wt. AEG and GLine anyday of the week over the other two.

8. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Dan,
    The short answer is yes. The rod companies know a rod may be sold more than once before the warranty card is sent in. The first person to send in the warranty card (or register on-line) is the "original purchaser" according to the rod manufacturer. As long as the rod was sold by the manufacturer at full wholesale price then the manufacturer was paid for the warranty. This is one of the reasons rod companies control who sells their product. They also need to excersise some control over the warranty work/process to help maintain a reasonable profit.

If you are considering buying a rod from an individual (used) with warranty card attached. Ask the seller for the serial number and call the manufacturer to make sure the rod has not been registered already. A lightly used rod with clean warranty card can be a sweet deal, my last rod purchase sure was!

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Here's a follow up on the two XPs I mentioned above.

The first, a 9 foot 6 inch 4 piece 5wt ended up selling for $331, about 58¢ on the dollar based on its original price (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...220245232108&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_fvi=1).

The second, identical to the first except 8'6" long, sold for $406, about 65¢ on the dollar.

As mentioned elsewhere, prices on eBay vary enormously, especially depending on the time of year. Buying used offers the opportunity to own excellent gear at an often substantial discount off its original price.

K

10. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Well I'll have a better idea after I fish the Multi 6wt in MT for the next few weeks. I've also looked for a good deal on Ebay for a used XP after casting one a few months ago. I finally get why people like them so much!

I decided to go a different route though and build a new 6wt on the Rainshadow RX-8+ blank that very similar to the XP. I've cast a built up one and it's sweet! It will be a while until I get it done, as I have a few other rods to finish up first.

11. lotuseagle

lotuseagle New Member

Flybill- Please give us a report on the multi when you get back.

12. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Sure, no problem. I spent some time casting it yesterday with a Sharkskin line in the parking lot at my local shop (All About the Fly) and it's very, very nice! I don't recall the line that I'll be using, the whole setup is from the WFF Gear program, but I'm sure it will fish very well. It's a 9'6" rod with a removable fighting butt that you can add extra weight to balance it. It should be good for nymphing and I was shooting a lot of line and casting 60 foot casts easily without much of a haul on the line! I plan on using it a lot. The reel on it is one of the new pimped out Loop Opti's, so I'll be fishing in style!

If you're thinking of this Loop rod, also consider the AEG version for the Trout Bum Diaries guys! It has a composite handle and I think the 6wt is a 9'6" rod as well, but not sure if it's built on the same blank or not.

An actual "how did it work / fish for me?" report will follow!

13. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Anyone tried the gloomis metropulus or what ever the hell that name is? I am also on the hunt for a moderately priced rod as a second rod for my pram...I have a 10' z axis which is a great chironomid rod etc. but to be honest...You can beat the shit out of your rod in a boat so it's just not worth it in some regards..looking for something that casts a clear intermediate line well but it still soft enough as a second chronie rod for two rod fishing...

Thought about the A2 but right now Scott is really pissing me off as i've had a G2 with gummed up ferrules that broke and a T2H that had problems..Lots of promises but when they sent back the "new" T2H, they sent me a new butt section and my old top 3 sections, with some apparent epoxy still on the guides.. Sent back and waiting to see what I get this time..no word yet from Scott!!!

Sorry for the semi hi-jack..