Milestone steelies

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Sean Beauchamp, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Schemy Member

Omaha, NE
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Great write up.

My milestone is to just have a chance at some steel. Being a landlocked Mid-Westerner I have to live vicariously through all of you....................and I am jealous. Someday, someday.
  2. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    I use to have goals when I fished, 20 lb mark, 40" mark etc. etc. And I have come very close to both.

Now I just want to hook a fish, on my terms. Swung fly or waking and skating. I have come to the conclusion they are all special fish - some are just bigger then others.:cool:
  3. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    I`ll die a happy man when I can say that I`ve hooked and landed a wild 15lb fish (a 20 pounder is a re-occuring wet dream) , on a dead drifted dry . Size 12 green drake to be precise .
    I know where it can be done , and this year I rose two different fish , but buck fever set in both times , and I did nothing more than send the fly whizzing past my ear at about Mach 6 .

Next year .
    David Dalan and stilly stalker like this.
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I'd like to catch a fall/winter fishing in southeast alaska that isn't a half pounder.
    I'd like to catch a fish on a dry.
    I'd like to catch a steelhead on a two hander/swinging.

really though I wanna catch another one... then another... then another.
  5. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Out of curiosity have you ever got a fall fish in AK up top?
  6. Yard Sale Active Member

The Hood
    Ratings: +158 / 0
    I'll be happy with the next wild fish that grabs my fly. Each and every time!
  7. ralfish Active Member

B.C.
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    I know if I ever get a winter fish on a waked bug I'll be screwed...done everything else long a go..

Now I just like getting them to come up on pretty looking flies. I pretty much could careless about anything else...though I'll admit having a decent casting day and not running into dick heads is getting higher on the list too
  8. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    For personal reasons the Sauk (preferably around the mouth of the Suiattle) is where my milestone fish lies. After that I think in order:
    Dean
    Skeena
    Thompson
    Skagit (Again)

My most meaningful steelhead I've hooked and fought in my life was the one I tied in to as a kid in Juanita Bay while fishing for trout. That is a run of fish that I miss every day and I get kinda nostalgic about the mouth of Bear Creek being a "honey hole" way back in yester year.
  9. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    I'd like to break the 20 lb mark once in my life, regardless of the river. 44 years and counting since I caught my first steelie.
    I've been close multiple times, but no cigar. Since I live in Washington, Oregon 20's don't count in my book.
  10. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +433 / 0
    Ian Broadie likes this.
  11. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I remember a time when there was very little to no riprap on Highway 530 along that stretch of river and one had to walk about 200 feet through the woods to get to the near bank, which incidentally is at about the same position as the current far bank.
    stilly stalker likes this.
  12. Brett Bates Member

Longview WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    To me I get great excitement of watching these dams get removed and opening up a whole new plethora of water. I want to see native fish populations thrive and then tail one in the highest reaches of the river systems. I would like to hike so far out to where I feel as though no one had been there yet someone or something is watching you. It would be there even a 3 pnd steelhead would be a grandiose prize. Other than that there are two fish I have hooked and battled and never got to see. I would love to go back and land those fish or get them close enough to know WTF that was!!!!
  13. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +433 / 0
    I got spooled by a fish on the Sol Duc that I still have dreams about. I think it was a MASSIVE steelhead, but it could have just as easily been a super early, dime bright spring chinook.....Either way, I want my revenge
  14. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Cool thread, and replies.

Dream fish....any anadromous fish, any size, just upriver of the Glines Canyon Dam site on the Elwah. Couldn't think of anything better than that.
    Derek Day likes this.
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,702 / 2
    20lb hatchery fish backrowing Zach's penis plug (treble hook intact). Checkmate.
  16. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    May want to throw a pic of that up, lest someone gets the wrong idea...but good call...
  17. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,702 / 2
    Sometimes the "wrong idea" is more appropriate than reality.
  18. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +752 / 2
    I'll only be satisfied when I catch the last wild steelhead swimming in Washington waters. Pretty sure this State will be happy when that time comes.

Those wild fish keep getting in the way of proper management!
  19. Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Naches, WA
    Ratings: +37 / 0
    Last March I did a 3 day hike up into one of the west end rivers. It just so happened that I had 3 days of bright sunshine and super low and clear water. I'd like to dance with any of the brutes that I saw scatter when I would come out of the woods and approach a run. If I had a thousand dollars for every fish I spooked on that trip, I would have lots of thousands of dollars.

Milestone for this year would be a cedar creek fish, those are really special little rivers and the thought of hooking into a steelhead on such a small piece of water makes my big toe shoot up in my boot.
  20. mdjm66 Member

Cloverdale, BC
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I had one this spring on the Sol Duc that absolutely kicked my ars, got him close once, then two massive runs later, he cam unbuttoned, we guessed him to be about 20.
    That one is a memory that I am hoping the next trip will replace, as I still have dreams of that fish!
    Steffan Brown likes this.