Mini Marathon Trout swap (2014)

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by riseform, Dec 22, 2013.

1. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +291 / 0
    Still no word or March flies from TD, hopefully he is ok.

Pics are in gallery, flies go out in tomorrow's mail.
  2. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +216 / 0
    Yeah, hope TD is okay too. Took a peek at the flies in the Gallery. Nicely tied flies guys! Can't wait to get em'. Hasta Luego.
  3. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    Sorry for the absence gentlemen. Thank you for the concern. Something did come up that I had to deal with and I lost track of the swap. Nick got hold of me and I will be sending in my flies this afternoon. I went with a Caddis emerger and small quill body dry fly.
  4. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Wow what a day! The 3rd annual Northern California Fly Tying expo in Redding California was held today, and it will be tomorrow also. First I met my councilor for a fly fishing camp I attended. Since I have risen from a sucky fly tier to a guy who sells my flies to many people who have caught steelhead and several trout on my patterns, I have shocked many of the people I have met in my past. This expo was huge, fly tiers from Oregon and California, and all the people I showed my flies to we're impressed. I don't like to brag about my tying skills, but it's awesome to know that people think my flies are great. I also met one of the best fly tiers in the U.S, Mike Mercer. I had a personal conversation with him and he said I tie better than he does( I don't quite believe it, but he has been my main inspiration in fly tying). Really cool guy who has shared some tips with me, and I am almost exactly like him. I love all the science about bugs and so does he. I met Rodney Cloutier, rodsflyart@gmail.com. He is a fly fishing artist, and he loved one of my flies so much that he's going to draw it for me. Also met a realistic fly tier named Roy from Burney, CA. Absolutely amazing fly tier. His flies are extremely realistic, and he gave me a tip I'll share with you. Rub fly floatant on your beaded nymphs, but only on the dubbing and fluffy materials, because it looks like air bubbles and the trout to crazy for it. He's at royalmae@gmail.com. Just thought to share this with you guys, and thanks for reading, Kaden S.:)
    Ron McNeal likes this.
  5. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Got mine in the email today! Riseform, your flies are incredible, and kaden, nice job on the missing link!
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  6. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Thanks! Ya, got my flies also, they look mighty fantastic! Travis, I think auto correct got the best of you;) read your first sentence.
  7. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Haha that's good!
  8. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Tied this today. I haven't named it yet. Will throw in an extra fly for the swap for the person who guesses correctly what insect this fly replicates. Good luck!

image.jpg
    image.jpg
  9. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Hellgrammite
  10. Travis Bille Active Member

McKinleyville, CA
    Or dobsonfly larva, if you want to get past generic terms
  11. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Wow, I knew it would be a little easy but you got it pretty quick. I guess you get an extra fly! This pattern looks exactly like the dobsonfly larvae I caught out of the Lower Sac, so I'm thinking it will work in all of Northern California and surrounding states, since there's only one or two species of Dobsonflies in the western U.S. #8 hook, extended body, tungsten bead, lead-free wire underbody.
  12. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    I call it " The Delirous Dobsonfly".
  13. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Nice tip TE. I have to admit this is one trick that I have faith in. Although I am often too lazy to use it when the fishing is good, I believe it has made a difference in difficult conditions. I've come to like soft hackle patterns with some CDC for this very reason. Ralph Cutter has a whole page on this concept which I re-read frequently http://www.flyline.com/tips_trivia/all_that_glitters/

Here's a cut and paste of the top tips, if you don't feel like reading the whole page:
    NIce swap everyone. Thanks again for participating and hang in there, we're over half way!
    Teenage Entomologist likes this.
  14. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    How's everybody doing? You guys will be very surprised at what your getting from me. I know you'll like them! As of today, Easter, I have finished my Swap Flies. Will put the tags on them, and will send them in a few days, good luck to you all!
  15. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    On week to go.
    How is everyone doing?
  16. Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 0
    I just returned from four days in Craig & the glorious Missouri. I'll be tying some of our most productive flys. You guys familiar with "hot beads" and SJWs? Naw, just kidding....
  17. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Four days!

I have flies from Travis and I know Ron is good. How are the rest of you coming along?
  18. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Going to try to send mine tommorow. Just need tags on them.
  19. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    tic, tic, tic....Two days!
    Not much life on this page. Inbox messages sent to those I haven't heard from. Only one set received to date. We're at mile marker 21, you can do it!
  20. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    I'll have to send my flies tommorow.