Mini-Marathon Trout Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Ned Wright, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +229 / 3
    I snuck up on my wife with the crawfish on my hand - she nearly jumped through the roof. She is an aquatic biologist (has spent a fair amount of time around crayfish) and was amazed at how good that fly is.
  2. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    all the ties are great, awesome flies gents! Thanks for the quality work.
  3. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    recieved the flies today, my dad really liked how realistic some of them were.
  4. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    Folks, I've been keeping an eye on this swap and your turning out some really great flies. Well done all around.

REE
  5. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    That's high praise, and although I'm a participant, I have to agree. Excellent streamers everyone! Thank you.

I was the last member to join this swap, primarily as an unrequested favor to OMJ to retard Mumbles post count on at least one thread, but am I ever glad I did.
  6. Eric Tarcha gear whore

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Put good use to some of the nymphs from this swap today on the Yak. Bullwhacker's Sparkle Stone was the favorite of the day catching numerous whities and a couple of really nice bows!

Bull, I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind posting or PM to me. Trying to figure out the rear end material (larva lace?)...
  7. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Great to hear, I was worried it wasn't stacking up agaist what I was getting. Some great flies! The Sparkle Stone has been a great producer in march and april for me. Recipe is as follows:

#10 TMC 3761 w/ 1/8" Tung Bead
    Tail: Dark Goose Biots
    Ab: Copper Brown Sexi-Floss w/ Thin Flashabou Rib
    Wing Case: Thin Skin with Flashabou Strip
    Thorax: Dark Dubbing Blend (Lots of UV)
    Legs: Dark Partridge
    Optional: Epoxy the Flashabou to the Thin Skin

I think that is it.

Great work on the streamers guys!
  8. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    OK, guys, let hear some chatter....

Hey batter, batter, EHC batter....

Hey batter, batter, divided wings batter....

batter, batter, batter midge batter batter.....
  9. riseform Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +269 / 0
    I'm just going to slap a single toward the gap in right field...not a home run, but it's guaranteed to score the guys on second and third. Size 18 or 20 BWO "dead on arrival" cripple dun. My preferred BWO pattern over a sparkle dun primarily because I can see it better. Works in spring and again in fall. It's caught fish on spring creeks, tailwaters and here on the Yakima. Technically, it could qualify as an emerger pattern, but I honestly don't fish high riding dries anymore unless I'm in really fast water.
  10. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
  11. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    just finished up my dries, ill have them sent out monday. i also realized i should get a chair in my room for fly tying, kneeling at my fly tying "desk" (18"x18" nightstand) is starting to get tiring on my knees.
  12. Ron Eagle Elk Active Member

Yelm, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    SS223,

Just finished two days of tying at the Albany, Oregon Fly Tying Expo. Sitting in that plastic chair for two days, tying and talking about flies makes me appreciate the nice comfortable chair I have in my home tying area. I may never leave home without it.

REE
  13. Ned Wright New Member

Tenino, WA
    Hey guys,

Dries are due soon. Please don't make me dig. I got rif'ed from my job today and have better things to do then chase down flies on the internet.

While I would love to be chatting about dry fly wings my days are now more about resumes and such....

While I was going to put some energy into the MVP, I imagine that we will be looking at a gift card to a local fly shop. We have about $105 and a few are still unaccounted for.....

Still good prize...
    Ned
  14. twinlakesleach MurkyLurker

Chehalis, Washington

Sorry to hear that Ned. Hopefully you find work soon. Doing a great job on this swap!!

Looking forward to seeing the next batch of flies.

TLL
  15. sharpshooter223 Member

richland/pullman, wa
    i will have my flies out tomorrow probably, thursday at the latest.
  16. Bullwhacker Member

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Good luck with the job search Ned.

I just looked at the calendar and realized the 25th is next week. I'm on the road this week so mine will be in the mail Monday morning. I hope everyone is fine with a standard bullet head skwala, because that is what my fly box needs for the weekend.
  17. xdog Active Member

Washington, Alaska and Louisiana
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    My dry's are done and I will try to get them in the mail today or tommorow. I am going to try to post a picture. I am eager to see everyones patterns.

Tight lines gentlemen,

:beer1:
  18. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    I'll mail mine today
  19. Charles Craumer chuckngear

lander, wyoming
  20. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +177 / 6
    I'm finishing up mine today and will mail them tomorrow.