Minimum for two person lake boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I live 5 minutes from Pass Lake. Now that the wife and I are learning to fly fish (so we can get her dad out of the house again), I figure it would be silly to not take advantage of having a fishing spot close by.

What am I looking at spending to get into a boat that two people could fish out of? As uncool as I may sound with my ignorance, would a decent size aluminium rowboat work? If there is a reason, I would consider spending more to get a better/cooler drift or pontoon boat. However, at this point, I don't know that I'll be floating the Yakima. So starting out with something that will get me around Pass Lake is probably a better idea.

Do people have to dual anchor when using a boat in a lake? Or if the wind is mellow enough, can you just drift a bit?

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
  3. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    I have a 12 ft alum that fits in the back of my truck. I can fit my wife and 3 boys in it for shorter trips.

I can load and unload it just fine.

Electric trolling motors really help (but not legal on pass I think).

You can find them for $200 sometimes. Another $200 in battery + motor and other accessories and you'll have a decent small to medium sized lake fishing machine.

4. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    You can probably pull an aluminum boat with a geo metro if you wanted to, they're pretty light. You usually wench a boat onto a trailer, not sure why you'd need to hoist it. Do you have some sort of funky trailer in mind? I've got a 17' boston whaler that I launch by myself pretty often, it weighs around 3,000lbs...

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ahh sorry mis-read your post. No trailer. Yeah should be OK on a 12 foot boat by yourself so long as you don't have a big heavy outboard.

6. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    a 12 ft jon boat would be fine. i used to load my old 12 footer myself, but i did drag it around a bit. They are pretty tough. If you're just lake fishing a couple of creek company or other entry level pontoons could be had for $700 or less and way less if you go used. Course you gotta have fins and waders, but you "need" those anyway. You only need a better quality toon for rivers anyway. If you "need" to be together you can pretty easily link pontoons with some lengths of conduit and bungy cords to link the frames or just paddle around separately. You only need two anchors when fishing chronimids. I just use a 10 lb mushroom or downrigger ball and it works fine. anchor off the bow. Going for the 8 foot oars is money well spent too. Down side of a pontoon is that you can't stand up to cast, (or pee) but you gain mobility and portability as well as being able to use fins to position while fishing. You gotta put the rod down and row in a boat.

7. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Yeah, my thinking was that I'd just toss (?) it into the truck bed rather than spending the money for a trailer.

Can two people fish from a 12 foot boat? A follow up question might be "Can two beginners not get tangled with each other when trying to fish from a 12 boat?".

8. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    Josh back in the early '90's I would take two of my buddies out with me to Pass Lake in a 14' jon boat, they were both learning to fling flies, and it was just fine. Never had any problems

:cool:

9. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    Definitely.

A very different question. In the beginning cast one at a time and if your partner is on your left, false cast on the right. In time you'll get so you can cast on either side safely and effectively. Be careful, be patient, be persistent and you'll have a good time growing in skills and confidence.

10. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    True, the wader purchase is upcoming. But not wanting to get cheap-o ones, I'm saving for a bit. I'll have some before moving water opens up.

Sorry for the confusion, but do you mean that you only need two anchors when fishing chronimids, and one anchor other times? That's what I took it to mean anyway. But it's been a long week, so I might be missing stuff.

11. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    yeah chronomids require two anchors, fore and aft because you want to keep the boat very still. Otherwise just one anchor is fine. Electrics are not legal on Pass. It can be an adventure with two people casting from a 12 footer when the action is fast and you are trying to false cast and get a dry fly back out. Normally you can just take turns casting and do fine. The launch at Pass is very shallow so a boat trailer as such is pretty useless. I just hauled mine on an old flatbed and slid it off and pulled it back on. A 12 footer doesn't weigh more than about 150 lbs if that. I'd still go with a couple of cheaper pontoons. You can even get by with hip waders for a while.

12. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    The other nice thing with the 12 footer vs pontoons is that your wife can take a break, kick back, read a book, nap, catch some sun, while you keep fishing. Pass may not allow the elect motor, but other good lakes not far away will. I love standing in my boat letting the elect motor on the slowest setting take me along the bank casting to structure as I go. It's a great way to cover lots of water effieciently.

You won't be afraid to take on a little more wind than a toon - especially if all you had were fins. A small elect motor 34-38lb thrust will cruise you along just fine. A small fish finder can be added pretty easily too.

13. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Oh, and always were your hats and glasses - begginer or not. An enexpected side wind can put that back cast right in your or her face...

14. spanishfly

spanishfly Steelberg

Media:
    Lavro makes a cool little boat. I haven't rowed one before but looks like a perfect little stillwater/class 1 boat. Check it out they have other models too.

http://www.lavroboats.com/rf11.htm

Dennis

15. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    Cool, cool. Thanks for all the info so far.

I'm sure that two cheap pontoons is the better way to go. But I'd rather just spend the $2-400 on an alum 12 ft if I can get away with it for now. That will leave me more money to decide between a tube or pontoon later if I/we want to upgrade.

I also am not going to discount this as an advantage. The wife is pretty interested in fishing at the moment. But we all know how fickle that sort of thing can be. She does like books, boats and the outdoors though. So as long as the two of us can chill in the boat together, I think I'll be fine no matter what.

16. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

Media:
    Josh, you're gonna "need" the boat, the pontoon, and a float tube eventually, so just start whereever you'd like. Wish I lived that close to Pass!:)

17. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Me and my buddy used to fish Rattlesnake lake all the time with his 1965 12' shallow v Sears aluminum boat and electric trolling motor with plenty of room left over for another to fish with us or room for the cooler.
    One thing you might think about is looking and maybe spending a little bit more or just get lucky finding a deep v aluminum rather then a shallow v in case down the road you want to put a bigger motor on it and fish the Deception pass area up that way when the Salmon are running through. The Deep v will handle rougher water much better the a shallow v and only run a little more dough on average. That way if you are so inclined you can fish some of the safer salt water areas up that way.

18. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

i have a 12' v-bottom rowboat type thing and what i have found is it is kind of crowded for 2 people to flyfish simultaneously out of. it is also woblly if trying to stand up in, although this is not recommended anyway due to safety reasons. a deeper v may be different. i have fished out of a deeper v 14' boat and not had these concerns.

19. WAID

WAID New Member

I have a 14 ft. fiberglass boat with a 15hp outboard that works fine for 2 people flyfishing and can easily fish 3-4 otherwise(as long as they aren't to heavy). The hull weights about 200lbs and the whole setup with the trailer is about 750lbs and it's pretty easy to move around and tow behind a little 4cyl car. A 12 - 14 ft boat is a lot lighter and easier to handle. Grandpas 13ft smokercraft makes my boat look like a snail with the same power on it.

20. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    I just bought a new lund 12 footer, with the trailer, figure at my old age can't hardly lift my 55 pound pram anymore, I can launch free at pass lake with my park pass. So if you see an old man with a cane come on down and help him launch. LOL I'll be able to tell some secrets of the lake.

Daryle