Minimum for two person lake boat?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Josh, Apr 13, 2006.

1. tonemike

tonemike fish'n glass

hey josh,
    i've got a 12' welded klamath and i fish it just fine with my 2 boys. it's 63" wide (only weighs 150 lbs dry) and i can stand up in it to cast alright. i'm also a fan of the deeper V aluminum boats...quite different stability-wise from my old 12' aluminum sears boat!! if you're not in a huge hurry, you can find a nice wide deeper V boat if you just keep your eyes open. i drove to the tri-cities for mine, but the guys gave me a screaming deal (and his dad threw in a nice galvanized trailer) . good luck and let us know what you end up getting.

2. South Sound

South Sound Member

Just go to craigslist.com and pick up one of the free boats or cheap boats with a hole in it. Go to the auto parts store, get some fiberstrand, bondo, or other fiberglass body filler. Mix it, patch it, and get out of the water. Also the electric motor is very nice. It is good to troll flies to the location you want to fish. Then fish. Also you can get a drift sock if you want to slowly drift. Also get some floatation seat cushions with some of those stadium seats. (crazy creek) Strap them to the cushions and you are set. Also get a 2 inch 2-3ft plastic tube. Cut it at an angle and you have yourself a portable relief (toilet) tube, which is better then leaning over the side. Carry sheer pins, pliers, and flush the motor if you use it in the salt. Also get a book on fishing boats for personal improvements.

Everything is better in a boat.

3. CovingtonFly

CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

I just bought a 7.5ft livingston on craigslist for $200. I can toss it in the back of my pickup and launch it solo. I put a minn kota on the back and I'm gone. Your definately gonna want something bigger for two people, and I would recomend getting a boat with a v hull rather than the dual hull style. It's a bit awkward trying to move around in a double hull boat. Most importantly your gonna need to pick up some paint and slap a name on your boat. I named mine "Whail Tail"

4. Teeg Stouffer

Teeg Stouffer Fish Recycler

I have a little 8' flatbottom and have had two people in that, both flyfishing, although level of comfort could be questionable. Nevertheless, a 12 footer is more than enough, you'll be just fine. If you go above 12 feet, it gets pretty tricky to get the boat into the bed of the truck, you really need a trailer.

One other thought / option is a canoe. I spent most of my childhood years fishing from one, and enjoy fishing from one even now very much. They're light, easy to load and maneuver, and if you pick 'em right, can be quite stable.

You'll have a lot of fun fishing from a boat, whatever type you wind up with. I'd stick with a shallow V, flatbottom or canoe though, were it me.

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

6. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Thanks for the heads up! I'll look at it.

7. Tony Mull

Tony Mull Member

that looks like a dang good deal!

8. South Sound

South Sound Member

I actually gave one away that looked just like that one. No motor or trailer though.

9. Josh

Josh dead in the water

BAH!

Ah well.

I'm actually not looking for a trailer. Back of the old Ford f250 will be easier anyway. Eventually I might spring for a small electric motor.