Minn Kota for a Driftboat on lakes

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Flyfishsteel, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Flyfishsteel New Member

GH,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Was wondering if anyone out there fishes lakes in their drift boat using a Minn Kota type trolling motor? Was wondering what "thrust power" would be adequate. Thanks!

PS, who sells a trolling motor adapter plate for drift boats?
  2. PETI Member

Battle Ground, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I use a 50 lb MK on my rather heavy fiberglass drift boat. It has plenty of power even in the Coldwater winds. It has 5 speed and the low speed is sometimes faster than I would like, so consider the infinitely varaible type. One good deep cycle will keep you trolling for a long day but I always bring two. Found a tiller arm extender to be a necessity for comfort.
    I just mount mine directly to the transom but it has stainless plates in and out and the anchor bracket is mounted to one side.
    If you have any specific questions I'll try to answer them.

Peter
  3. CatchEm New Member

DuPont, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have used a Mini Kota 30 with my Hyde 15' boat before. It surprised me how well it worked. Plenty of speed for moving the boat around the lake
    I also used a deep cell Marine battery and ran it ~ 6 Hours with no issues. I didn't need a mounting plate. I had a 6" X 12" piece of rubber I put between the motor and the hull and that worked to keep the motor mounts tight and protect the fiberglass.
    It was a bit challenging to steer straight and reaching back to control the throttle was tiresome.