Minnow patterns

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by bwillroll, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

I'm simplifying my lake fly box. So far I've tied up a ton of leech patterns, SJW's, chiro's., and now I'm looking to tie up a dozen or more minnow patterns. Looking for suggestions. My first idea was just to tie up a bunch of Clousers in size 8 to 10.

2. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    small white clousers and white or chinchilla double bunnies have worked as basic minnows for me.

3. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    I found a minnow pattern the other week on the net that looks promising. It is called Cheech's Low Fat Minnow. It is a simple tie, and the fly looks great when wet. You may want to check it out. You can not go wrong with leeches and Clousers. I usually tie my Clousers on a #6 Mustad 33903 kink shank hook. White/Chartreuse is my top producer.

Shawn

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Check out GAT's pattern in the SBS section

5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The pattern (Pseudo Bass) I show in the SBS can be tied with our without the lip. They are easy to tie once you get the hang of folding back the fibers and can be tied in variety of sizes and colors.

I've also done quiet well with another one of my patterns called The Spartan.

Oddly enough, I can't buy a fish with a Clauser... but everyone else on the planet does well with the fly.

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well figure I might chime in and share about minnow patterns.

I do not tie good flies, I tie them just to fish and not show and also am terrible at taking pics of them but here goes!

I like tying in traditional style as much as possible so I created somewhat of an Atlantic salmon fly style streamer to match the stickleback minnows that are in almost all central Oregon lakes. Just a red bead eye version and pretty easy to tie.

z axis fly rod 013.jpg z axis fly rod 017.jpg

Store purchased pattern z axis fly rod 010.jpg

Then I created a smaller version (#6 - #8) of the stickleback. we kept a couple 5 to 6 pounders from crane awhile back to eat and cut them open and found a bunch of these minnows in the bellies so just had to tie some. They are a short and fat white bellied, almost gold sided, green backed minnow! As you can see by the single close-up pic I try and give the flies depth with clear deep eyes with coated heads.

My creation=
    z axis fly rod 015.jpg z axis fly rod 014.jpg z axis fly rod 018.jpg

Since you started this thread I had to get started on flies for speed trolling large rainbows and bulls at the lake I'm going to next week and had to develop a pattern for the lake. having chubs and other trash fish most being a green backed, lighter green sides, and white belly as in most lake trash fish all my flies have these features. I tried to give this fly depth by wrapping the hook shank with a clear shinny plastic wrap with a white thread underneath. kind of hard to see by my pics but it is quite transparent. from none shinny green back, to shinny lighter green sides to lateral line, and white shinny belly and a touch of red for a blood or wounded look - with eyes and dubbed head. hang back hook is in a loop and will be changed to a little smaller. this fly is the first speed troller fly I tied for this trip so I will do little changes to the next flies I tied and try to do a gold or copper sided version since so many minnows have the gold or copper look on the sides also. These are also double hooked, I got tired of cutting the front hook off for the hang-back and where I fish this type of pattern they are catch and keep fisheries. When speed trolled these flies will look much thinner and the front hook point is facing up and is hidden, as you can see the back hook faces down. the back hook will be change to a smaller green steelhead hook. That is also a very heavy dumb-bell eye that sticks out on both sides so it is quite visible to followers from behind.

streamers 012.jpg streamers 011.jpg streamers 010.jpg

Note = None of my patterns are designed for bass fishing! If I wanted to be a bass fisherman I would move to California or New Mexico! I live in Oregon where bass have destroyed so many truly world class fisheries that I Hate them. These are trout flies and should only be used as such!!!

But then it is a free world!

bwillroll likes this.
  7. Islander

Islander Steve

Come on Mark, tell us how you really feel about bass. Don't hold back.:D

All of those pattern above are nice ties. If I was only allowed one minnow pattern in my box it would be the Muddler Minnow, have had good success with those.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Mark, there are some places where bass live that trout can't. Those are where I fish for bass. Otherwise, you are correct. The illegal planting of bass in Oregon has destroyed some very fine trout fisheries. I primarily fish for LMB in private farm ponds that hold no trout nor could.

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I would agree in rivers the muddler rules. we will also be fishing for 8 pound lake bull trout on our trip. They are known to eat bait fish half their own size :eek: Trying to match the hatch of chubs, suckers, squaw fish, rainbows and any wandering spiny rays! :D The big minnow pattern will also be trolled at between 2 1/2 to 5 mph for only "BIG" fish. Our early morning, late evening "trophy only" fishing tactics. I'm sure we will be swinging some muddlers in the river where the 6 to 8 pound native rainbows are migrating into from the lake right now because the ice has just now come off the lake. We have so many options at this res. it's mind blowing! river flowing in, river flowing out. native redside rainbows to 8 pounds in the res. and migrating into the river and huge bulls to #10. reminds me a lot of crane prairie.most of the day will be chiro's under the indi's for 2 to 6 pound rainbows. we will also be trolling creature flies in browns, greens, black and red.

z axis fly rod 007.jpg z axis fly rod 008.jpg

Who knows, none of it may work but we are going to give them hell no matter what. I like fishing "outside the box"

10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

The bass thing was not for a debate in this streamer thread. I just don't want my flies that I designed used for bass. If they were bass flies I would of posted them in the warmwater section.

like I stated, it's a free world. Besides, someone has to hate them! I raise my hand!!!

11. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

Not sure what the SBS section is on this forum, but would like to see GAT's ties. Thanks for the responses guys. Mark I really like your bottom fly there. Looks like a good shiner pattern. I'm thinking really simple ties for lakes mostly in Western Washington, since they are abundant and my life only allows me so much time and access. I'll probably stick with clouser styles and play with color combinations that look somewhat like Marks. My criteria is that it is relatively simple to tie, looks like something that I think a fish would like....basically that instills confidence in me. Love this board for the knowledge, input, and passion that folks have. Thanks!

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

bwillroll likes this.
  13. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

Media:
    if your sticking with clouser styles, ive done really well on a gray over white marabou clouser with some crystal flash.

14. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

One day while out on a lake I realized I grabed the wrong box and had a box full of flies for the salt so I trimmed down one of my Clouser minnows and it has worked fairly well. I have found the bright color patterns to work good pink, neon green, ETC

15. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Rainbows love purple. I just need to put hooks in the loops for the hang-back.

streamers 015.jpg streamers 016.jpg

bwillroll and McNasty like this.
  16. Just.Mark

Just.Mark Member

Purple does seem like a magic color here in WA. Havent tryed it sub surface they sure love it as a dry.

17. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Well my friend from Idaho trolls purple and white rapala's with his sled and hammers big fish in the big res. in Idaho - one of his favorite color of plugs for big bows! when I think minnow flies I think "big trophy fish" so have to have a selection of colors for dialing in A bite or should I say SLAM!!! SUN - NO SUN - EARLY LIGHT - MID DAY LIGHT - EVENING LIGHT, All these can change a color preference through out the day! Alot of this is still a learning process for me. I had some good success last spring and upping the bar this spring. If I wasen't always trying new tactics, or trying to grow, I'd get bored really, really fast and probably just take up golfing again.

18. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    I've had good success with this- (basically a Miyawaki Beach Popper, without the popper)
    [​IMG]

bwillroll and Mark Kraniger like this.
  19. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

Paul, that is basically what I thought of tying up as my go to minnow pattern, of course with various color combinations. Simple and fishy looking. Thanks for sharing!

20. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Wish I could blow that up Paul. looks a heck of alot like my green minnow pattern. I like the peacock on top!