Missoula, MT

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by michaels, Apr 21, 2008.

1. michaels Flogging the water, one beach at a time.

Federal Way, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    OK.. It's a rough life. I've been forced to spend six days in Missoula next week with free time between 8am and about 5pm each day. I've been chucking flys mostly in the salt here at home, so my river skills probably aren't up to speed, but does anyone have any experience or suggestions for a good spot to wet a line, soak up the scenery, and just maybe see a fish? Rock Creek? Bitter Root? Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks.
  2. Mark Ritari Trouthunter

rock creek would be a good bet to get away, see fish, scenery, wildlife, etc. Double nymph rigs in deeper slower water will keep you hooked up. Most of the rivers are running a little high and muddy, but with the cooler weather we are having they should bounce back to shape quickly.
  3. michaels Flogging the water, one beach at a time.

Federal Way, Wa
    Mark-

Thanks for the info. Sure enough, it looks like I've hit the beginning of runoff and everything is really blown out. Just about every flow has doubled in the last couple days. Soooo frustrating!
  4. RedChief New Member

Seattle, WA
    yeah, rough time of year, especially after all the snow MT got this year. If you're looking for a quick trip try hitting the Blackfoot above Clearwater Junction (Take Hwy 200 out of Bonner, go 30 miles, and you'll run into multiple river outlets on your right). If you follow 200 a little further you'll hit Monture Creek, which is usually a good river in the summer...not sure about early May though.

good luck!
  5. michaels Flogging the water, one beach at a time.

Federal Way, Wa
    Thanks for the tip. I'll have to put that place on my list if I get shipped back here during the summer. I actually had a good time on rock creek. The flows were still up, but I stayed higher up on the creek and wasn't too bad. Yesterday, I landed two nice cutties, two browns, and a little brookie. Today, I found a couple more cutties. They were all taken within 100 yards of each other!

It's truly a beautiful part of the country and I can't wait to get back. If I get the time, I'll try and post some pics.

Thanks again

Mike