Missouri River

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by LD, Jun 21, 2009.

1. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Time I posted a trip report. I had the opportunity to fish the Missouri for three days last week. Temp was high 60's to mid 70's. Sunny to overcast and always threatening to rain. Actually rained only a few times so was good. The flows had dropped about half in the prior 10 days and was perfect.

Caddis and BWO's were out late morning through the evening. So I started floating around 10:30 and fished nymphs until I started to see a rise then went to drys and emergers for the rest of the day. I was out until 6:30 to 7:30 pm. Caught several fish from 16" to 20+ inches. They were thick and wide and really know how to fight, out of the water, straight at you, etc. I broke off 3 fish and had one straighten a hook but also missed more than I care to admit. I did try streamers one evening without much success. All in all was great fishing and a lot of fun, probably the biggest fish I will catch this year (unless I can sneak back). This was my second trip to the MO and learned a lot about the river. The fish are fished hard and see it all (water isusually clear) so they can be picky.

This was the first time I used my pontoon on moving water. It is challenging at times controlling the boat and fishing, esp. when you hook-up. I have a casting platform and it was really handy at times, allowed me cast a lot further.

All in all a great trip. If you have never been, I would highly recommend a trip. :thumb:

2. Radway

Radway Member

Which section of the MO did you float, LD?

Cheers,

Radway

3. Keaten LaBrel

Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Media:
    Try it in late september thru october when the browns start to get nasty...lots of fish that you normally wouldn't catch throughout the year become more willing to eat you 5" bunny when its ripped in front of um...there's also a ton of sippers on bwos if you're in to that too. definitely the best time of year to be on the MO

4. EasyE

EasyE Member

Great report LD. My fishing to do list just got bigger.

5. willisbrow

willisbrow Member

THE MISSOURI SUCKS!

6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    In reading all the posts on the Missouri of late it's obvious that EVERYONE disagrees with ya! Musta had a bad day there huh?

7. gator7354

gator7354 Member

I fished the Missouri 2 days last week. It sucked so much I'm going back next week.

8. bitterroot

Media:
    Amen Gator :thumb: That seems to be the common sentiment among Missouri trout fishermen, excluding our friend from San Francisco. I think I'll take Keatons advice and try to get back there in the fall. I now have a personal grudge match with some of those big browns that broke me off about 2 weeks ago!

9. willisbrow

willisbrow Member

LOL i was kidding. I love the Missouri it the biggest hardest fighting trout i have ever caught I was there in April for a week and i just got back from 10 day over there. There are other rivers i like to fish better but the Missouri is home to my favorite trout. Browns and rainbows Love em

10. bitterroot

Media:
    OK Willisbrow, ya got me!!!:beer2: At first I thought I was just showing my age and "really sucks" meant "great". Like the term "sick". I guess that's a good thing these days. I'm gettin' old!

11. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    Just went back and fished for 4 days. The water had recently increased due to thunderstorms, which blew out the Dearborn. By the time I got there the Dearborn had cleared but the temps dropped and it was dodging rain most of the time. You could see the sheet clouds in the afternoon, only got caught once in a downpour. Weeds, weeds and more weeds, so I fished the upper river.

This made fishing a little inconstant. Thursday did OK, but also caught some smaller fish 12-13" (did also catch a few nice ones). Friday was tough for me, only one whitefish to hand. I should of changed flies more to get something that worked. I also tried hoppers, with droppers, beatles etc. but nothing. I think it was to cold (50's to 60) for the hoppers. The wind was also horrible, straight upstream. Tough to fish in a one man pontoon. Saturday converted pontoon to a two man. Fishing was much better, but I do not want to admit how many fish I broke off or lost (was still a lot of fun). The unfortunate thing Saturday was hearing the sound of my friends Winston b2x made when it broke, much better traveling rod now that it is a six piece (glad it is under warranty, original owner). Sunday fished a shorter day and just waded. But was very productive and my last fish was the biggest. :thumb:

12. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

I'll be in Helena for a couple days in the middle of March. Any hope for the boatless when it comes to fishing the Missouri?

I'll be coming from Big Timber so will have spent several days on the Boulder River. I should be satiated but not done. Sure would like to hook something on the Missouri.

13. LD

LD Active Member

Media:
    I would sure think you would be ok. You should be before the run-off so should be wadable. Think small and go smaller. Check the fly shops in Craig for reports.

14. SteveA

SteveA Gnu to the board

WTF. The middle of "March"? I don't know what I was smoking when I posted that but I meant September, as in next month.

Thanks, LD. I think your comments still apply. Wading is feasible, I'll think small and definitely visit the shops.

15. bitterroot

Media:
    Wading will be no problem in the middle of Sept. And think small caddis nymph, or hoppers if the weather stays hot.

16. FLGator

FLGator Member

Mid September, no problem at all. Stop in at Headhunters and they'll get you dialed in with wadable water and suggestions on patterns.

17. bitterroot

Media:
    My latest trip on the mighty MO.

[​IMG]

18. bv

bv Member

Good to hear that fall is good fishing. i was there in July and it rocked. But I think I am going to try September next year. Nice report.