Miyawaki Popper gets my 3rd Coho

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by dryflylarry, Jul 30, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Well, why not a "follow-up" from my report from yesterday. You guys sitting around the office are bored anyway or working your butt off right? I'll make this short. I decided to roll out of bed at 3:45 AM to hit the beach before sun-up. I actually made it! I met Steve and Chris on the beach at about the same time. Since I haven't taken a nap yet today, not sure if I can remember the details. I used the Popper once again since it was so fun yesterday. Not as many fish around this morning. I rose a fish early on and missed the strike by setting too quickly, but still a rush on the quiet morning waters with no one around. I think I had a few other follows in the first hour and a half. I can't remember how Steve and Chris did early on nearby. I decided to wander on down the beach about a half mile and give it a try. It wasn't too long after low tide that I hooked up with a nice fish. Just awesome in those still waters of the morning, kinda like an attack out of no where, and the water explodes or bulges behind your popper and your heart pumps quickly immediately. The fish took well and I setup. It felt secure. The coho jumped 3 times in succession and said, "Bye bye sucka". It jumped very close by and I got a good look at a nice fish that looked a good 6 pounds. Shortly thereafter I rose another fish but again missed the take. I'm still working on that strip-set, but sometimes you just don't hook up. Steve and Chris joined me from down the beach. I think I had a couple bulges behind my fly and then finally hooked up again. I landed a nice fish of maybe 4 lbs. He didn't fight well, but then when I landed him I discovered what looked like a recent injury near it's eye. I think Steve and Chris hooked up and maybe lost several fish, but I know they landed at least two. They may report in with the details. I was concentrating too much on the popper and minding my own business. So, I lost track of how many fish I provoked to the surface, but it was decent, but not as much as yesterday. Still exciting morning tho. I think a good number of fish moved on through. We went to another beach before I headed home and I hooked up and played a fish for about 30 seconds that also said "bye bye". I know Steve landed at least one there.
    Nap time.

2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    It was definitely a good morning. There is nothing I love more than standing on a beach at sunrise. It's just awesome. Even when you have to set the alarm for 3am.

Yesterday I hooked up with 5 nice coho, 3 of which I could hardly slow down before they were peeling line and throwing hooks. After a couple of the bigger fish schooled me, my hands were shaking and my stomach was flipping, it was just sick!!! I only actually coaxed one smaller fish, 20", to the beach yesterday, but that's fine since I finally shook the monkey that is saltwater coho from my back! That fish made a fantastic dinner last night too! I also hooked up with a 15" jack king which was pretty cool.

This morning was slow, I landed two 14" rezzies on poppers and a couple more on a Clouser, but couldn't find the bigger fish Larry wax hooking up with. Right as we were getting ready to head to another beach I finally briefly hooked up with a decent fish. 10 minutes later I brought a nice unclipped 3 lb coho to the beach, revived and full life it was released. At the second beach I hooked up pretty quick and landed a nice 4lb coho, 5 minutes later Larry was battling a bigger fish, and I thought we had hit a big school. Unfortunately that was it. But what a couple of mornings, just fantastic fishing with a couple of buddies and a much needed break from work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jeff Dodd, mtskibum16 and Mark Mercer like this.
  3. bigdood

bigdood fishing hack

Media:
    Home Page:
    Jeez I haven't had that much action on the salt all year

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    Larry and Steve, thanks for the reports.
    Enjoy your naps as you dream of fish.

Dave

5. TeenyBigs

TeenyBigs New Member

Alright, the report made me curious.

Patrick's Fly Shop is just a few blocks from work so I picked up a couple of Leland's Miyawaki Poppers. Can't wait to give them a try.

- Bryce

6. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    You won't be sorry, just sick with it for a morning or two and remember to STRIP SET!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

dryflylarry and Jason Rolfe like this.
  7. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Steve nailed it on the head: don't do a trout set like you would fishing dries or nymphs. Just keep stripping until you actually feel a fish on the end of the line. I've pulled the fly out of many a fishies mouth because I got excited about them slashing about on top of the water!

Jason

dryflylarry likes this.
  8. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

An easy way to remember to strip set with them is to 2 hand steady strip retrieve the popper, it tends to get more hits that way for me also.

dryflylarry and Dave Boyle like this.
  9. TeenyBigs

TeenyBigs New Member

Thanks for the advice! Heading out early this week. Will try to remember to strip set.

10. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

Media: