Modular Bass tubes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Eyejuggler, May 11, 2014.

1. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have been messing around with tubes and now the warmwater season is nearly here and I wanted to play with some for Bass. I bought some various Cam Sigler popperheads from a forum member and started messing with them yesterday.
    I tied up the original with some sheep hair, schlappen and Marabou but the end result looked chunky in the head and sparse in the back so I made a modular "skirt" to insert in the rear to give it a fuller form. I kind of liked the idea and figured I could tie up some skirts in various colors and swap out as needed.
    Seems like a good look, can't wait to get it out on the water.
    (sorry for the awkward background color)
    Any tips or thoughts would be welcome!
    Dave

Skirt off
    [​IMG]

Skirt on
    [​IMG]

GAT, McNasty, Pat Lat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Look at Rapala's lures for inspiration on different color combos, they've done all the research already.

Gary Knowels and Eyejuggler like this.
  3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I think that your original, without the skirt, will be effective. I am more concerned that the skirt will add weight, causing problems when casting and potentially sinking the fly below the surface. The latter would defeat the purpose of the popper head. I expect that when wet, the schlappen etc. will collapse a bit, filling in that core that looks somewhat empty. Minus the popper head, the front plus skirt would be a great subsurface pattern. Perhaps you can tie the front section without the popper head but in such a way that you can slide a popper head over the front section if desired.
    Steve

Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. Eyejuggler

Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks Pat and Steve, good thoughts on the weight, I made the skirt from synthetic material thinking it would shed water fast during the cast, but your observations are good and I will mess around with both options.