Modular Bass tubes

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Eyejuggler, May 11, 2014.

  1. I have been messing around with tubes and now the warmwater season is nearly here and I wanted to play with some for Bass. I bought some various Cam Sigler popperheads from a forum member and started messing with them yesterday.
    I tied up the original with some sheep hair, schlappen and Marabou but the end result looked chunky in the head and sparse in the back so I made a modular "skirt" to insert in the rear to give it a fuller form. I kind of liked the idea and figured I could tie up some skirts in various colors and swap out as needed.
    Seems like a good look, can't wait to get it out on the water.
    (sorry for the awkward background color)
    Any tips or thoughts would be welcome!

    Skirt off

    Skirt on
    GAT, McNasty, Pat Lat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Look at Rapala's lures for inspiration on different color combos, they've done all the research already.
    Gary Knowels and Eyejuggler like this.
  3. I think that your original, without the skirt, will be effective. I am more concerned that the skirt will add weight, causing problems when casting and potentially sinking the fly below the surface. The latter would defeat the purpose of the popper head. I expect that when wet, the schlappen etc. will collapse a bit, filling in that core that looks somewhat empty. Minus the popper head, the front plus skirt would be a great subsurface pattern. Perhaps you can tie the front section without the popper head but in such a way that you can slide a popper head over the front section if desired.
    Eyejuggler likes this.
  4. Thanks Pat and Steve, good thoughts on the weight, I made the skirt from synthetic material thinking it would shed water fast during the cast, but your observations are good and I will mess around with both options.

Share This Page