Molting on the Yak

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by McNasty, Oct 5, 2013.

1. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

went out for about 3 hours this morning to a spot where ive been doin good on streamers. flipped some rocks and started finding little gummy, nearly shell less molting crawdads. proceeded to catch some decent fish all on crawdads. cutty went about 15"-16" the bow (not done justice in this pic) was 21" on the dot and fought like hell. lost the two alpha pigs i hooked but i aint complainin =)

October 2013 moltin daddy.jpeg October 2013 hog bow.jpeg october 2013.jpeg

2. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Awesome fish. What did the crawdad bite on ;)

3. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Nice Mac. I was on the Yak last week and brought 7 to hand between 13-18 inch, all on a #16 red copper john. I love Fall :)

4. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Cool! I'd love to see the fly you used. Never really knew much about crawdads as a trout food source. Seem to read about it fairly often these days.

Great job finding the clues and great fish!

5. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

thanks guys. ill post a pic of the crawdad later when i can get to a better camera. this is my first year fishin these patterns for trout and trying to hit the molt right. haven't been the least bit disappointed so far!

6. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Nicely done! I can tell you are a right-hander...no doubt about it :D

7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

AAAAAHHHH I got to get over there. For some odd reason I've been tying crawdads like crazy lately

8. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

you put some sweet crawdads on the end of my line, ill put some hogs on the end of yours =)

9. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Ill be in touch before next weekend. Which 4wt did you get btw?

10. tinman207

tinman207 Active Member

I have a picture of one of Pat's crawdad patterns as the wallpaper on my laptop. :D

11. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

got the decho 11' 9". sickest rod ever, paired up with a 325 grain skagit max short. hopefully ill have it back by next weekend.

12. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Nice fish Dude :)

13. Patrick Gould

time to hit "the island"

14. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

islands been getting raped by people, i saw 5 people lined up fishin out there the other day! just been hookin lil guys out there anyways, i got new spots where ive been hooking big fish.

15. Patrick Gould

Shoot. I only told one guy and he's on the westside. I'll have to show you the "upper island" :).

16. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

Nice work McNasty! I have some crawdad patterns that used to work on Lake Ontario smallies, I'm sure they'll work on bows fattening up for winter.

17. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

were those great lakes crawdads blue in color? I've heard some can be and it would give me an excuse to try other colors in my patterns

18. McNasty

McNasty Canyon Lurker

oooo blue crawdad. ive seen some real yellowish ones

19. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

thats funny, I was just working on a gold pattern for some reason. I'll make a couple more before I head over.

20. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Had 8 yesterday (9" to 15"), all on a #16 Copper John!