Monday

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Chris Scoones, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    Awake and check email. Laptop doesn't function. Flip it over and check cord. Coffee comes out. Get the bad puppy dog look from the miss. Don't yell, don't make a scene, let her know that I'm only upset she didn't tell me about it sooner for the sake of the hard drive, and spoken in the tone of a lesson without a worry. Go to the shop, yell a bit. Work. Get off work. Get in the truck, pick up buddy on the way, stop at the store, get new laptop. Decide that since I'm 1/3 the way there anyway, continue to Cabelas. Pickup Benelli Super Black Eagle II. Drop buddy off. Come home. Hide my smile and bad puppy dog look.

Regards,

Chris
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,225 / 9
    Not your every day report there, eh? How is the blood pressure?
  3. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +208 / 1
    Love it. Don't get mad, get even!
  4. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Nicely done.

Let me know if you want to go shoot some wobble skeet with that SBE. It would be a nice test for you and the gun. I'd offer a duck hunt but it would be a long day looking at blue sky. Cabela's is on the way to the duck club, too, and I wouldn't want you to be tempted again so soon.

I take it Cabela's didn't have a Beretta Extrema II in stock?
  5. casaboba Member

Seattle, WA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Brilliant! Well Done.......
  6. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Well crafted solution, and an excellent choice. I love my SBE II as much as my Sage 10' for 7 weight. Fit it withi the shims.....
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    Well, are you going to drink anything around your new lap top. Or eat around. it.:ray1:
  8. Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Chris.
    Good choice, Enjoy your new gun and laptop.

BD.
  9. Hatch71 New Member

Socal
    Chris.... Hey BRother that made me smile..... As an Addict of Wing hunting also you picked a great gun!!! Shoots every 12 gauge load known to man!!! Thanks agin for sharing... Chris
  10. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    Chris-way to turn lemons into lemonaide! Karl-I was at Kesselrings a week or so ago lusting over the new Beretta Xplor-all the guys at the shop were very hyped about it and said the best new shotgun in memory. Cycles flawlessly with any load from 3/4 oz to 3 1/2 magnums and have 1/3 shorter cycle time than anything else out there. Very pretty gun as well with very nice wood. Not available in camo yet, so I'm waiting! Rick
  11. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Rick: can't do Kesselrings anymore. I bought a shotgun both of the last two trips there a few years ago. I truly hope I've purchased my last shotgun, though. I have two or three I've got to get rid of. It's funny, I've got three I shoot particularly well yet I always choose one of the others. I like "style" so I'll use a SxS or O/U if I can.

Talking about SBE vs. BE is like comparing Florida vs. Alabama football: both are great, neither a bad choice. Half the guys I hunt with use SBE, the other half use BE.

Anyway, whichever gun a person shoots, I hope they shoot it at least once a month at skeet or clays. They'll get you ready for hunting better than anything else. I particularly enjoy wobble skeet, very challenging game with great practical applications.

Chris, have you ever dumped coffee in your shotgun and on yourself at the same time.? Probably not since you're new at this. Just wait until you've poured a fresh cup, you're holding the thermos in one hand and the cup in the other. You glance out at the decoys and there's a dozen mallards settled down over the spread. Makes that laptop issue look minor.
  12. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +282 / 0
    Used Scot's Xtrema2, he used his Xplor2, another had the SBE . Didn't have much of a preference between them, outside of definitely not being able to afford the Xplor2. Got the nickel tour of each, talked it over, understood each to be great with differences being the gas verses inertia, decided on the SBEII given that out of the gate, either felt comfortable but I can adjust the SBEII a bit and it comes with a good spread of chokes. Kinda splitting hairs to even have a preference. Either will be around and function well as long as I.
    View attachment 28540 View attachment 28541
    photos are Scot's.
  13. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    XII, Xplor and XplorII, SB and SBE....ALL Bien Guns....Scoones CAN shoot....trust me.....

SAK
  14. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Most of my friends also shoot the SBE-and a couple are deadly with it. A group of us were over at Sunnydell last year and the SBE's weren't cycling the 1 OZ loads. One of the guys got a different spring and now it cycles fine. I shoot an old Browning B80 at ducks-seemed pretty deadly on my last duck hunt! I may get the camo Xplore when it comes out. I shoot my Beretta O/U on upland birds, either 12 or 20 ga, but sometimes on quail, I find myself wishing for a third shot! Never a perfect gun! Rick
  15. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,225 / 9
    Great photos SAK. So many amazing photographers around here.
  16. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Those are amazing photos-really creative! Thanks for posting them! So many greenheads! Reminds me of hunts in the Wahluke 10 or 15 years ago! Rick
  17. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Rick, if you head to Sunnydell this year and want a tag-a-long, let me know. That place was great. A few years ago I went over there alone. I shot a case and a half and had the best gun instruction imaginable. It really boosted my confidence, helped me with my success, and gave me a new way to look at shotgunning. And I've been shooting a shotgun at birds for 55 years.
  18. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Nice shotguns are truely a thing of functional beauty! I started hunting birds almost 50 years ago and have learned a few things. About 14 years I picked up a Remington 1100 Special Field 12 guage. I seemed to shoot OK with it, about the same as with my OU. One of the club members where I was shooting thought that I was having to work to keep my head down on hard left and right birds and suggested that I get the gun fitted. At the time I was shooting around the high teens and occasionally get into the very low 20's. I took his advice and got the gun fitted. The stock length was fine but the butt pitch was off just a bit and corrected. The difference was absolutely amazing. I went from mid 70's out of a 100 to low and mid 90's out of a 100 birds shooting trap. The result in the field was also very noticeable. I took the OU in and had it fitted too with the same results.

You can have the best shotgun in the world but if it doesn't fit correctly it won't point right. When a shotgun is properly mounted it should point where your eye is looking. If you have to aim the gun then something is wrong and needs to be corrected.

Dave
  19. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    I agree-Sunnydell is too much fun! Every year the Bellingham Chapter of DU has a fun shoot there-$100 for 100 targets in the morning, a BBQ and prizes included. Then in the afternoon the area is open for shooting where ever
    you want-a really fun day! I'll let you know when it is going to happen! Rick
  20. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Dave-where did you get the gun fitting work done? I totally agree with gun fit. It is nice that the new Benelli and Beretta autoloaders come with a set of shims so you can set LOP, cast off, and drop at comb yourself! I had a beautiful 20GA Winchester SXS Model 23 in Pigeon Grade. I loved that gun except I couldn't hit with it. I struggled with it a couple years and then went back to my old B-80 and suddenly my shooting improved a lot! I also have a Beretta Onyx in both 12 and 20 GA. I shoot the 12 way better than the 20! Rick