Montana's stream access law under fire!! Help is needed! No on HB309!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rick matney, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

This is BULLSHIT! Thanks Builder! Fowarding this link to as many people as I can plus sending the above idividuals my thoughts on this piece of crap legislation. Thanks as well RickM.

2. Morpheus

Morpheus Ω = ρgQS

Here is some info on the economics of angling in MT, contained in an e-mail I sent to relevant Senators. I'm not a MT resident, but I spend plenty of money there primarily because of stream access.
    =============================

As a former resident of both Wyoming and Washington, I've traveled to Montana countless times to enjoy unique and unparalleled access to some of the best angling opportunities in the lower 48. HB309 is a heavy-handed, short-sighted and wrong-headed way to address issues that private landowners have with access, and passing this legislation will have long-term, negative, and meaningful impacts to the citizens of Montana and surrounding states. Restricting access will undoubtedly significantly decrease the number of anglers--resident but especially non-resident--that benefit from the outstanding opportunities stream access in MT presently offers.

Casting a broad net to characterize many rivers in MT as ditches may have unintended consequences that bill proponents haven’t considered. However, economics often hold the strongest influence, so how could HB309 affect dollars that impact the lives of Montana's citizens?? Since 1955, the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation has been sponsored by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. It is a long-lived and comprehensive index that details the significant amount of money recreationalists dedicate to hunting, fishing, wildlife watching and nature-based recreation.

Last completed in 2006, the report highlights the following numbers for anglers in Montana. In 2006, 291,000 state residents and nonresidents 16 years old and older fished in Montana. Of this total, 172,000 anglers (59 percent) were state residents and 119,000 anglers (41 percent) were nonresidents. About 1 in every 5 Montanans is an angler.

Anglers spend a lot of money ($226 Million in 2006) in Montana—money that supports a huge variety of business and activities not directly associated with fishing alone. Of the $226 Million spent in 2006, ~$150 Million was trip-related (gas, lodging, meals, incidentals). In addition, a significant amount was spent in Montana on equipment purchases.

ALL ANGLERS (Resident and Non-resident)
    Total expenditures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $226,349,000
    Trip-related . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $149,800,000
    Equipment and other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $76,549,000

Non-Resident Anglers

Total expenditures . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $103,591,000
    Trip-related . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $79,210,000
    Equipment and other . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $24,381,000

Although these numbers are a few years old, they are good indicators of what angling means to Montana.

Please don't take part in voting for a significant impairment to Montana's economy and way of life. Vote no on HB309

========================
    Source: U.S. Department of the Interior, Fish and Wildlife Service, and U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Census Bureau. 2006 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation. http://library.fws.gov/pubs/nat_survey2006.pdf

State Report for Montana--http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/fhw06-mt.pdf

3. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Great letter Morpheus!

4. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Thanks Builder and morpheus great stuff. Montana Board of Outfitters is supposed to be sending out an email with the names of senators that are either on the fence or supporters of the bill. I will post it when it comes through. I think that all the senators need to know how we feel not just the ones that support it. So if you have time send as many emails as you can and phone calls are also effective.

Thanks guys

5. rick matney

Media:
    Here is the Governor's info as well. Probably not a bad idea to shoot him your concerns as well.

Governor Brian D. Schweitzer
    ...Office of the Governor
    Montana State Capitol Bldg.
    P.O. Box 200801
    Helena MT 59620-0801
    (406) 444-3111, FAX (406) 444-5529

6. Builder

Builder Member

Thanks guys, and gals.
    The Montana Stockgrowers Association and The Montana Farm Bureau are a couple major pushes on this. I'll get some contacts posted hear later for those folks and it might help to write them as well.
    Their are some folks in Montana already threatening a boycott of Montana beef and wheat unless these associations convince "their" Senators to pull this damn bill.
    I think we can kill this thing and keep Montana's stream access law a model for the world.

7. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    IF YOU LOVE MONTANA'S STREAM ACCESS LAWS -- PLEASE TAKE ACTION

THE MONTANA STATE SENATE IS NEXT ON THE LIST-- PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO WRITE TO THEM AND REQUEST THEY VOTE NO ON HB 309.

Here is a copy of e-letters I sent to all of the State Representatives if that is of help.

Write to as many as you can. We just need to flood them with traffic expressing concern about this. Keep the tone civil, but be direct.

Dear Representative Loney,

I am writing you to voice my concern over HB 309 and its detrimental effects on Montana's existing Stream Access Law. Rep. Jeff Wellborn (R-Dillon), HB 309 sponsor, is proposing unnecessary changes which threaten Montana's heralded stream access laws. The proposed language would turn fisherman and other users of stream corridors, into overnight criminals....and must be stopped.

This is yet another attempt by a select few to undermine Montana's existing laws covering the publics right to access streams within the high-water mark. As you are no doubt aware, millions of people from all over the world come to Montana to experience its world renown fishing and wildlife. This has resulted in billions of dollars in revenue generated for the state. To loose or severely degrade the states very unique stream access law for the benefit of private parties would be a huge loss to all.

Mr. Wellborn and those associated with writing this bill did not involve any meaningful discussion with the parties it will most adversely effect -- the public -- which you are given the honor and responsibility of representing. This bill seeks to re-define bodies of water, with long standing historical public use, using "crafty language" disguised as aboveboard and in the interest of all. Rest assured, it is anything but in the interest of the public.

I urge you to do everything you can to defeat HB 309.

Please do not allow the undermining of Montana's Stream Access Law to take place on your watch!

Thank you for your time in considering this very important matter.

Respectfully,

8. rick matney

Media:
    You guys are way more polite and elegant than I am with my letters. Keep up the good work. If all of us jump on this band wagon we should be able to kill this thing. Don't forget phone calls are also effective as well as e-mails There is not much time left so lets get after it.

9. Abomb

Abomb Active Member

Back to the front page where it belongs.

10. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Thanks man !! I'm writing my letter now !! This has to be killed now !!!

11. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Hi Chris,
    Any chance you might make this a "sticky" for awhile so we can maximize exposure? Montana TU is helping lead the charge on effort to defeat HB 309 and they can use all the help possible.

Thanks,
    Bill

12. John Hilt

John Hilt YeeeeHaaw

emails sent

13. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

How about getting FFF headquartered in Livingston to threaten to move their conclave from West Yellowstone and boycott MT, and urge all their members to do so. It would be some work for them, but this is a serious issue. Get the hotels, restaurants and everybody associated with the travel industry lined up. They all have to be heavily dependent on fishing income.

14. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Well I did my thing this morning. I called in my vote on this bill.

I was dreading doing this as I had no idea on what was the correct way to do this. Well all I did was call and it was all good. So now I'm a good Montanaian or what ever you all call me.(probably ass hole)

15. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

You just have to read this: http://www.dillonitedaily.com/wednesday

The sponsor of this bill (were there any others?) really thinks you're dumber than a field full of logged off stumps .....

16. rick matney

Media:
    The guy is a moron. I think he should just come out and say how much money he plans on recieving if this bill passes and what he is going to do with it. He must think most people are retarded and not capable of reading. Read the bill....it is pretty cut and dry on what they are trying to do. They are not changing the 1987 laws.....they are just manipulating the term ditch to cover a broad spectrum of water features in order to privatize a lot of currently public water. Com'on guys see, he's not changing the access law.......what an idiot.

17. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Rick, the REAL PROBLEM IS ... he found 'enough like minded people' to get the damned thing passed. He's just the tip of the iceberg. 53 others voted 'yes.'

Be Afraid, be very very, afraid.

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I read this little paper every day. I get it from in front of the P.O., five days a week.

19. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

So what does the jackass who sponsored it do for a living? Some business all fishermen and sportsmen can boycott?

20. rick matney

Media:
    He's a politician.....we just don't ever vote for him again. Pretty simple.