Monthly Fly 'Salon' (sort of a contest) - interested?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Mitchell, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Thomas Mitchell

Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Just floating an idea to gauge interest...

Back in the day when I thought I had a future in fine arts photography, I participated in a fairly serious photography discussion board. They held an ongoing monthly 'Salon' which is sort of a contest but without a real prize. I thought it might be fun for the fly tiers on this site, especially in a La Nina winter...

It works like this:

1) Adjudicator chooses a theme and sets up a message thread
    2) Tiers design/choose a pattern based on the theme, tie it then upload a photo to their WFF gallery and post it to the thread
    3) At the deadline, the Adjudicator chooses the one that he/she thinks best fits the theme
    4) The winner becomes the next Adjudicator, chooses theme and so one in perpetuity...

I also think it might be a more viable form of fly swap, especially if we include a requirement of a materials list with the photo. Everyone only has to tie one fly, no mailing, etc, etc.

Let me know what you think. If there's interest, I'll act as the first Adjudicator. I'll also draw up a rules post that maybe Chris could post as a sticky.

Best,

Thomas

2. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Thomas, this sounds like a great way to encourage creativity in the fly tying forum. I can see it being focused on a species, a body of water, a type of material or combination of things. The materials list and simple tying instructions would be a big plus.

Count me in.

Thanks, Steve

3. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Great idea! Count me in.

4. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Thomas- I'm in so long so long as we can participate on an 'as time allows' basis.

5. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

thats sick im in

6. Thomas Mitchell

That's actually the main point of this versus the traditional fly-swap.

It's new every month. Someone just posts the theme and the people that want to tie something (or already have a fly that fits) just post. No time or no interest in the theme = no post to the thread.

Easy-peasy is the goal.

I'll draw up a quick guidelines post and set up the first thread for December over the Turkey Day holiday.

7. MountainTrout

MountainTrout Bacon-wrapped trout?

Great idea! Would it be an Iron Chef type thing where everyone has to tie something different using the exact same materials?

8. Thomas Mitchell

Nope, complete freedom on the part of the tiers to express themselves and interpret the theme. Chaos brings ingenuity...

9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

I would be interested

10. Ralphie

Ralphie Mike Ralph

Sounds good. I'm a novice, so it will help me be creative without trying to perfect traditional patterns.

11. powpow

powpow Member

in for the goods! ha whatever that means

12. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Sure, I'll play

13. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Sounds like a great idea, I'm in

14. Loopy

Loopy Member

If overseas visitors are allowed please count me in.

Sounds good.

:cool:

15. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I'm in. Shock and awe.

16. Thomas Mitchell

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member