NFR Mooching around in my Jeep

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by wa_desert_rat, Nov 12, 2012.

1. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

Home Page:
    Ten days out of the hospital and with a serious case of cabin fever combined with the wife being out of town on a band trip, I took the Jeep (1999 Wrangler lifted with 33" tires) out to Pacific Lake north of Odessa, WA. This was a real lake about ten years ago; I've seen photos of people camping and water skiing here. It's bone dry now. Even in the rain.

This is BLM land and part of the old Lakeview Ranch. Free camping, toilets, terrific mountain biking (watch where you dab... the rattlesnakes are out in the summer) and downright awesome scenery if you like desert and rimrock. You can explore around the ranch house and imagine how it must have been before the lake dried up.

There is a trail that runs the 12-miles back to Odessa at the top of the hill and I took an hour to explore it a bit. I've ridden these trails on mountain bikes a few times, but the Jeep is a new experience. About half of the trail is open to Off Road Vehicles and I explored about half of that in the Jeep. All alone with the nearest farmhouse about 3 miles off across some seriously nasty country I decided I might as well turn around.

Drove to Coffeepot Lake just to see if anyone was there. Nope. Nice little campground, too. Quite a few people at Twin Lakes just a few miles up the road. Flushed a porcupine out of its lair at an abandoned house when I drove into the yard to check out the view back to the west.

Snow, rain, clouds, sun, rimrock, sagebrush, red-tail hawks, deer, and old farms. A cheeseburger in Odessa and then home. I love living in the desert.

Craig

JesseCFowl and Allan H like this.
  2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Hospital for what ??????????????????????

3. Allan H

Allan H Member

Not really loving YOU right now Craig....Nah just kidding.

I grew up in Ephrata (class of 94) and used to go "road farming" in my CJ5 with my buddies all the time. We had a great time cruising around the backroads of Coulee City, Waterville, and Quincy to see what was over the next hill. Mostly finding old farm houses, rusty tractors, and dried up creeks. I moved here to the Wet-side for work after college.

I really miss the Basin for it's friendly people, slower pace, and all of the items you mentioned above. People over here just don't get it. I hope to leave here someday with my 2006 Wrangler Rubicon that's trail ready and parking lot tested!.

Allan

4. wa_desert_rat

Home Page:
    Three heart stints at Sacred Heart the day Superstorm Sandy hit New Jersey. :)

Craig

5. wa_desert_rat

Home Page:
    I left E. WA for Puget Sound because of a job in 1963 and didn't move back here until 1993. Don't wait that long! It's a different life over here. Fewer people just find a "job" like they do over there. Here you have to be more creative and more flexible. Salaries are less but living is cheaper, too. Fishing and hunting are all but "out the back door"; as you well know. And the trail exploring (via Jeep or mountain bike) is incredible. Weather is more moderate than it was when I was a kid, too. We live on Moses Lake and for many years it froze solid between November 15 and March 15. Now it's more like December 15 to Feb 15. The local (free) ice skating rink has a terrible time keeping the ice frozen after March 1st.

I like that term, "road farming".

Craig