More Fishing License/discovery Pass Confusion?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dryflylarry, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mark Juranek

Mark Juranek Member

Use a pencil and erase until they get this sorted out.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I didn't discuss it further after he told me that the governor was going to sign the Passes, it will apply to both. I was too pissed off to jump on someone and ruin their day. Imagine that!!!! Dryflylarry ruining someones day??!!!!!! :D

3. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

So what is with the Discover Pass?
    I would only take my boat to the WDFW access points.

I get so confused.

4. dryflylarry

Media:
    You only need your yellow Fishing License tag in your window. You don't need a Discover Pass at those WDFW Access Sites. If you do not have a fishing license, and you want to park with your lover at a WDFW boat launch site, you need a Discover Pass to just kiss your honey in their parking lot! You need a Discover Pass in the State Parks and probably some, but I don't think, all, Dept. of Natural Resource Lands. I personally have a Senior Access Pass for National Forests and National Parks because I am an old guy now. So, I don't know what that costs you younger lads! Mine was $10 for life!

5. Porter

Porter Active Member

I hope they never require a liscense/pass for each rod you own...Officer: "Mr. fly fisherman, may I see your liscense for your 5 weight and the 4 weight you have on the bank behind you?" .... it would be the ruination of many of us gear hog enthusiasts!

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Damn, why should something so simple be so complicated? Wait, I think I know the answer...

I am one of those that never filled in a license number on the Discovery Pass. I have three vehicles that I could use, one being a motor home. If they are registered in my name, all vehicles should be subject to the same pass - period!

I know they are sturggling for revenue but leave us alone if we make a good intention attempt to buy the darn passes....

MB

7. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:

If it is a WDFW launch, you need the WDFW pass OR THE Discover Pass -- either will work in that situation. The key is the the pass that comes with your fishing license is ONLY valid at WDFW properties. The Discover Pass is valid at WDFW sites, State Parks and DNR facilities.

And yes, when the revised Discover Pass bill becomes law, your exist pass can be exchanged for a new two-car version. NOTE: The Discover Pass revision bill will either be signed by the Gov. or become law automatically Saturday -- 30 days after the regular leg session ends -- unless formally vetoed.

Here's a good round-up of what's in the new Discover Pass:
    http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2012/mar/26/seabury-blair-jr-changes-afoot-for-restrictive/

8. dryflylarry

Media:
    I couldn't shut my pie hole when I discovered our fishing license is no longer valid for two vehicles like it always has been. They were intending to take that away! In fact, they did, until the governor signs that one also, besides the Discover Pass. If this was in previous discussions, forgive me for bringing this back up! Now I'll shut my pie hole. :)

9. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I believe the WDFW Vehicle Access Pass (VAP) went to one vehicle to be similar with the Discover Pass. I asked a couple of WDFW folks when there was talk of tweaking the Discover Pass to allow for two vehicles, if the VAP would follow. They didn't even know that the VAP went from two to one vehicle. If I hear anything new, I'll let you know.

When I get my new license, I'll probably do what Salmo g is doing, or I won't bother to write a license plate number.

10. dryflylarry

Media:
    I believe you are incorrect.

11. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

You're right Larry. That's why I went back and edited my post. Was hoping the edits took place before anybody read them.

12. Olive bugger

Well, we could all go down to the Pike Place Market and buy wild steelhead and take them home as the daily catch.

13. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I heard the earth moving and knew DFL's blood pressure
    was up so I checked WWF. What a mess. Glad I haven't paid
    my tax yet because I would have been pissed like Mark and Larry.
    How did this slide on to the public without any notification?
    It is more than obvious that the people making the rules
    don't fish or ever go outside (in daylight). I thought it was
    bad last year with the Discover Your Wallet Tax.
    I was wrong.

Dave

14. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Media:
    Home Page:
    Really? Come on, we get what we vote for, the masters know what's best for us, don't they?

LB

15. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

I have a different problem, the state says I have to change my license because it is 7 years old. that invalidates my Discovery pass.......Help!

16. jumbo215

jumbo215 Jasper hickman

Media:
    I don't think your licence has anything to do with the discovery pass, its for your vehicle not you.

And to make it simple you are gonna bite the bullet and buy both passes if you want to go anywhere out of doors. I just place all of my passes, wdfw, discover, a trail pass of some kind, a ski pass, a few parking pass from Seattle, a validated pass from hooters, I even through up an old wwu parking pass sometimes.

But really I write lightly in pencil and swap numbers if necessary, haven't had a problem yet and I've done it with my wdfw pass for years. Of course the warden would need to be about 6'8" to see the dash of my van! Mirror has been removed of course.

17. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Good question.

18. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

I was told you can send it back in with documentation that shows the change in plates and they will issue a NEW DP free of charge.
    I had that same issue last year when I bought a new truck a couple months after I bought the DP (old truck died). Got a temporary paper plate then the new ones showed up. At first they said I had to buy a new DP for the new truck twice, but they were wrong. Its a pain but I managed.

19. Olive bugger

Beginning July 1, the Discover Pass is required for vehicle access or parking on Washington state parks and recreation lands. Note: Current Vehicle Use Permits will be honored on WDFW lands for the balance of the license year (through March 31, 2012).

Taken from the WDFW web site. Now I am confused.
    (Red copy is my edit.)

Second edit:
    Where do I need a Discover Pass?
    The pass is required to access state recreation lands and water access sites managed by Washington State Parks (State Parks), Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR). These lands include state parks, water access points, heritage sites, wildlife and natural areas, trails and trailheads. The Discover Pass will be needed to access DNR’s developed or designated recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. For a complete list of exemptions, please go to the Discover Pass website.

More edit. from the Discover Pass web site.

• Hunting and fishing on WDFW-managed lands. The Discover Pass is not required for holders of certain hunting and fishing licenses on WDFW recreation lands and water-access sites. For those individuals, a "WDFW vehicle access pass" will be required for vehicle access to WDFW lands and boat launches. WDFW will honor WDFW vehicle use permits that were purchased prior to July 1, 2011, on WDFW lands through March 31, 2012.

Those license holders will need a Discover Pass to access DNR-managed lands that are developed or designated as recreation areas, sites, trailheads and parking areas. Signs will be posted in these areas. License holders will not need a Discover Pass to access small blocks of undesignated DNR-managed lands.

For vehicle access to lands managed by State Parks, all hunters or fishers will need to purchase the Discover Pass. As a reminder, hunting is not allowed on State Parks lands.

Note: The vehicle access pass is valid for the license's year (April 1 through March 31) and is issued free of charge with an individual's initial purchase of a big-game or small-game hunting license, western Washington pheasant permit, trapping license, Watchable Wildlife decal, or saltwater, freshwater or combination recreational fishing license.

20. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Thanks for clarifying all of that Larry. Lose some hair or is it still clutched in your fist?