More Knots

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by gbhstrat, Jul 24, 2002.

1. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I was reading the other posts about knots and I thought it would be good to share this new knot I just learned. I have no idea what the real name of the knot is, but I was told it is called the perfect knot. On a recent fishing trip, we ended up with a guy we called the "Knot Nazi". He was one of those guys who likes testing knots and he showed me this cool knot. I was hesitant at first to deviate from my improved clinch knot that I always use for tippet to fly connection but I fell in love with the knot for two reasons. First and most important is I can tie it without needing glasses on (now that I need reading glassed). The other benefits are I can tie it faster than an improved clinch knot and it uses up less tippet (one you get it down). It is definitely stronger than an improved clinch knot as I snagged a lot of stuff during my float trip and I was really use to testing the limits of 20 Lb. Maxima. I looked on the web for a diagram but could not find one. Here is my attempt to describe it as best as possible. I guarantee that if you learn it you will never go back to a clinch knot.

Here are the steps for tying the knot if you are right handed. I know in words it may seem complex but it is actually easy to tie.
    Step 1: Put the tippet through the fly and pull enough line through to form a loop about 12 inches long (you learn how to adjust for length once you learn the knot). Using your left hand pinch the loop about 4 or 5 inches away from the fly while continuing to hold the tippet at the end of the loop with your right hand. Don't let go of anything.

Step 2: Take your left hand that is pinching the loop and hold your hand like a karate chop with the palm of your hand facing you. You are now staring at the palm of your hand with a fly dangling between your index finger and thumb. Tricky part here -Using your right hand, take the upper portion of the loop you are holding and wrap it around from the back of your hand to the front. Grab the end of the tippet with you thumb and index finger that is also holding the pinched portion of the loop. Let go with your right hand of the main tippet line . You should now be looking at the palm of your hand with a vertical loop going around your fingers while holding a loop with your fly on it.
    Step 3: Spin the fly around the vertical loop on your hand by passing the fly between the line and your fingers. For heavy line like 15 to 20 pound test, spin it around 2 times. For light line, spin it around one time for each X rating. E.g. Spin 5 times for 5X.

Step 4: Ok, this parts cool so hang in there. Continue to hold on to all three pieces of line with you thumb and index finger. Grab the fly with your right hand. Allow the loop on the palm of your hand to slide off and pull with the fly in your right hand. Pull tight so that a knot forms where your left hand is holding everything (Don't let go!). You now have a knot way above the fly (6 to 8 inches) as a big loop. With the knot in left hand and fly in right hand (because we did not let go), wet the loop between your left hand and right hand and let go with your left hand and hold on to the tippet. Pull on the fly and the knot slides down to the fly and tightens up to a perfect knot (that's the cool part).

Someone out there try it and let me know what you think. Hopefully my instructions are clear enough to follow.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I might be old---but I'm good.

This sounds like the Weaver Knot which I use to tie on my flies with. I got it out of that book by Mike Croft called the Fish Bum's Guide to Catching Larger Trout. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Jim

3. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I did a search on a Weaver Knot but I never found a site that actually shows a knot that looks like the right one. What I really like about this knot is I never have to thread the tag end through any loop once I get it through the fly. When your hands are cold or if it is dark out, the knot makes life easier as all you need to do is thread the fly. I can also tie the knot with gloves on. I wish I could find a illustration on the Web so I could show everyone how easy it actually is.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

I reread what you wrote and as I was reading it I did it the way you said to. It is just like the Weaver knot except that the way you started. Instead of the loop I just go with a single strand. It is hard to explain,much eaisier to see. If I had a scanner I could send you a picture of it.

Jim :THUMBSUP

5. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

Have you tried it the way I explained? I am curious if the way you tie it may even be better. The way I learned it works really slick. I usually shy away from new knots just because I hate trying to remember how to tie them. This one was easy to remember and it really saved me time on the water in Alaska when I was loosing a lot of flys on snags and big fish.

6. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:

About the only place that you will find this knot is in the book that I mentioned or as it says in the book "Darrel Martin's" book Fly-Tying Methods. If you ever in any fly shop look at their books that they have there.If they have that one just glance thru it. Lots of info. I read it all the time. I just keep gleening more and more out of it.

Jim :THUMBSUP

7. gbhstrat

gbhstrat New Member

I wrote the Book title down and I will be looking for it. Thanks for the info.