More water time

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by 9140greenie, Jan 10, 2013.

1. I was able to get some time on the water today. The river was in great shape; good clarity but high, water temp. just under 42°. High water is one of my favorite conditions to fish. The first run I worked twice: First with a light tip, then with a heavy tip. Nothing. The second run I talked to two guys. One said that fishing had been slow, the other said that he had floated the river last week and hooked six and landed four (both gear guys). No grabs for me here either. On my way back to the parking lot, I decided to work one last run that had been empty of fishermen. It's a beautiful piece of water that is very popular with gear guys. If the water was a little bit lower I could cross the tail out of the run above, but had to drive to another access point to safely get to the pool. I had built up a good sweat after hoofing it against the current and bushwhacking through the foliage, but I was at the head of the run and no one was there. There is bar in the middle of the river at the head that creates some great water, and a nice soft seam on the inside where I usually move all my fish. Nothing. But I continue to work the water. At this water level the tail water really picks up speed, and at the end of the swing my fly hangs up in the shallows. I wiggle my rod tip to try and dislodge my fly. I feel life at the end of my line and the weight of a fish. A lame hook set is all I got. It's not enough. The fish stays on for a couple more seconds and is gone. The only evidence, the swirling surface disturbance of a fleeing fish. Damn!!!

2. So what magic river is this?

3. Wet dream river, I fish it on the reg

Clarki likes this.
  4. awesome, thanks for the post.