Morning at a Sno Co beach

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by salt dog, Jul 16, 2005.

1. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    As hoped the mist and clouds kept the public at bay and off of my beach so I could sleep in and not have to get down to the water until a couple of hours past the tide turn.

I had a fine morning, picking up 7 cutthroat up to 16" and about 4 missed hits, all on a deer hair popper. The 16 incher was chunky, in fact notably stockier than longer fish I was catching just 3-4 weeks ago. When I was playing it and saw first color I thought it might be an early pink, but it didn't fight like one, as this fish repeatedly made hard runs whenever I tried to muscle it in and refused to come in without a fight to the end.

Seemed like the fish were only actively going to the surface when a little breeze put a small chop on the water. When the surface was flat, I got zero strikes. Anybody else notice this? How are you fishing flat water.

Over 3 hours I did see a half dozen large fish jumping about 200+ feet off the beach in the rips, and at one point a couple were just pounding on some baitfish. Probably were resident Coho I suppose.

I can only wish for a summer full of mornings like that.
  2. Please if I may ask, what size, shape, color, and style of hook was the popper tied.
  3. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Headburner, check your PM.
  4. JAV New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Salt Dog,
    I think I saw you at that Sno Co beach. I recognize your description of that 16" fish. Nice work.

It was a good morning. I had numerous boils/follows on my skated dry but only brought one to hand.

Take it easy.
  5. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Hello Jav,
    If you were that young southpaw tossing dries to left handed trout, that would have been me on the beach down from you. :clown:
  6. JAV New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yeah that was me. I think those left handed trout are more difficult to catch! That's my excuse.