Mosie Grub, a very old, but PERFECT summer steelhead fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

I bought this from Colonel Bates years ago, because I have a thing for Indian Crow bodies. The size was what amazed me.. 12. Perfect for a salmon or steelhead that are viewed by the angler, and the water not to deep or swift. These little colors seem to trigger a strike, and that is why Crow was so important in the construction of flies in years past.. Think about the cost of a lease on a good river and the cost of a few dozen well tied flies. THINK POPHAM the best salmon fly.. it would be my choice. Just no wing on this one.
    sorry for the plastic wrap, that was the way Bates kept the critters out, as he had them,too.
    DM

2. Jeremy Husby

Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

That’s a great little pattern, so much shoved onto such a little hook. Think I'll chop up some Mustads and see what I can tie. I believe when it comes to the salmon species, like us, mix colors afar just look drab and grey. As distance between the fish and the fly become closer the action draws attention and the salmon investigates. The colors reveal them selves and that is what excited the fish into the strike. But just a theory, and sure it's been said before, I have many more years before I can think like a fish. Thanx allot Dave for the post.