Most useless piece of kit you purchased?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Loopy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Loopy Member

St Albans Old England
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    What is the most useless piece of fishing kit you bought and presumambly no longer use?

Mine is a fly box I recently decided to buy. I don't need it as I have loads of them. Ok, a lot are full of pretty things but another plastic box - not even a Wheatley I must have been drinking at the time!

:beer2:
  2. Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +285 / 0
    Not that it's a bad thing but the 3rd (2nd spare) spool I have for my Battenkill Disc remains unstrung and unused to this day. Bought the English version so I wanted 2 spares since eventually these would be scarce. Figured I'd go floater, type II and type V with the 3 spools. Strung up the floater and type V and planned to get the II when I had use for it. Well, that's been quite a while and I'm finding I can cover everything between the two lines I have. Seems with the newer constant sink rate (sans the belly curve) the type V is a bit more versatile.

So though it's useless so far, I'm still glad to have the 3rd spool since I plan to use this reel for a long long time...it may outlast me so maybe my grandkid would have use for all 3 spools...
  3. seanengman Trout have no politics

davenport, wa
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    My first fly tying set up. It was one of those $30 made in India pieces of crap. The stuff fell apart or didn't work well, and the vise wouldn't hold a hook. The scissors are the only things left that I use... for wire and lead.
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  4. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,227 / 0
    A pair of used stream cleats that ended up being about 2 sizes too small for my wading boots. Good news is that I'm only in to them for about $12.

K
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,723 / 0
    My 8wt. It sits around in it's case and is collecting dust on it big time. I haven't used it since I moved to Montana.

Other than that, I use everything else I have.

Jim
  6. John Dougher Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    My 2008 Washington fishing license.
    Spencer Woods likes this.
  7. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    Nice. :rofl:
  8. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Many Many Many Many years ago. Stomach/Throat pump... First time I used it I decided I'd have to buy a black hood, and have a hump installed if I was going to continue...:eek:
    Mark Kraniger and Steve Call like this.
  9. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +105 / 0
    Wading sandals.
  10. kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Hampton Roads Virginia
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    A backpacking fly rod.It was so crappy I just took my old gear hiking instead.
  11. tyler Member

Ballard
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    no kidding!

tyler
  12. fshnazn Member

Beavercreek OR
    Light saltwater tackle and bassfishing gear that came from another life. Now that I look back, I wish I would have saved my money for a spey rod. Anyone fish gear out there? I got quality stuff. Please?
  13. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    non toxic split shot
  14. barbless Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Fishpond tippet dispenser. Crrraaaap. Must be why they don't make it anymore.
  15. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    Frankly, I think most of you are being unfair to your suggestions. Fishing gear doesn't become a piece of crap because you found that you don't need it, or because your size choice was wrong, or because your lifestyle and/or priorities have changed. T'aint the gear's fault.
    Only something like Seanengram's fly tying kit deserve to be denegrated, because any buyer would have been ill-served by purchasing it. Tell us about stuff that broke/split/warped/refused to attach, etc., soon after purchasing.
    I've left a lot of not-so-useful gear in my wake - haven't we all? As the old saying goes, "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
  16. XstreamAngler ...has several mistresses.

Seattle, wa, King.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Fishing Vest

SAK
  17. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    A leader straightener. Useless. I can do it better with my hands.
  18. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +518 / 0
    I thought about posting re some of my old tying gear, such as my thompson model-a vise that served for some time to support a lamp whose clamp broke. It was replaced by a renzetti traveler and my tying improved as a result of a better tool. The thompson model-a certainly isn't a piece of crap, it's just rather antiquated (and classic). I haven't been able to think of a useless piece of gear, which is why I hadn't posted one. :thumb: Mac.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Long bellied spey line. Can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would want to use one.
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  20. Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Seattle, Wa.
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    My 5 wt after catching bigger fish

:)
    stilly stalker likes this.