Most useless piece of kit you purchased?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Loopy, Jul 4, 2008.

1. fly punk

fly punk lunatic trout bum

z axis 7136 spey. Had it for months, still haven't used it yet. Anyone interested? :thumb:

2. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    Most of my useless things involve a "pure genius" fly design that turns out to be (Coach Duff designed, tyed and fished) "pure junk". Not only don't these patterns catch any fish, but fish have been known to slowly roll over on their back and laugh at me until they piss themselves. I have a vast boneyard of materials that sure looked good until they were put in the water. Well at least they looked good to me in the shop. Or I overthink things and after 30 years of studying water hydraulics, clarity, light refraction and the full color spectrum (while looking at the fly in the water) I realize that I still don't know a damn thing. Either that or I am colorblind and have been fooling myself the whole time.:beer2: I don't think that vicious cycle will ever stop.:D Tight lines Coach

3. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Two things.
    First thing - a float tube. Once I bought a Super Fat Cat, I couldn't get rid of the thing fast enough.

Second thing - Orvis Mach reel which I bought with a gift certificate I'd won at work. This was right after they were introduce and then recalled. I was the beta test. Drag stopped working and handle fell off after one day of bonefishing. I'm glad I had back-up reels.

4. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    Same. Brass hand carved vise from India, it was horrid!

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Whip finishing tool. By the time I get the thing picked up and rigged, I can already have my fly whip finished by hand and be done.

Mark Kraniger and stilly stalker like this.
  6. Scott Whited

Scott Whited Member

Media:
    i agree. actually 3 fishing vests.

7. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

That soft shooting basket fom W Joseph, the one that folds back into a belt. Pure junk IMHO.

8. constructeur

constructeur Active Member

Media:
    Shakespeare fly rod/reel combo from Cabelas when I was 12. I was so proud that I bought it all on my own, untill the piece of crap snapped just above the handle about 6 months into ownership.

9. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    You can whip finish a fly by hand in half a second! That's nuts!

10. thestallion

thestallion Member

When I first started fly fishing I found a DT 7wt line for $7. DT 7wt line? WTF?

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I would have seconded this vote as i have one and bought another for my father in law for his multiple trips. I have recently seen anothers modified with some closed cell foam to put in the bottom with some plastic anti snag fingers. I made a foam bottom for mine, punched through some plastic fingers and even added a plastic beam that clips to the fiberglass retractable hoop and sits in a hole in the foam to keep the plastic hoop from sagging and therby allowing the sides of the bag to catch line.

I have not tried it yet, but the foam fits into my waders to transport and the plastic fingers and beam fit into the mesh bag and roll up nicely for packing. I'm not sure it will work worth much, but it has to be better than before.

I have one of those fancy wooden fish nets with a long handle, but it is only a mid sized basket. I have rarely had an occasion to use it. Beautiful, but not practical. What was I thinking? Too big for trout and probably too small for salmon/steelhead...but it looks good.

12. rattlesnakeflyguy

rattlesnakeflyguy Harrison

Electric underwear...pants down!

13. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I bought a c&f box on sale one time. Waste of money. The plastic latch broke off within a month. Never buy fly boxes with latches. I stick to 10 dollar boxes now that have never failed me.

14. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    For me it was the cliffs bugger barn. I ended up selling it on e-bay.

15. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

You can pick up your whip finisher and have it rigged on the thread in only half a second? THAT'S nuts! I pick mine up (if I can find it) and curse at the damn thing for about 30 seconds first. Maybe that's why it seems slow.:rofl:

My way, the thread is already in my hand and I can make a loop and three winds and pull it tight lickety split.

16. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I totally disagree.

I tried all the other stuff for years and came back to my vest.

I find it far superior to the fishing packs and what not. I tried 3 of those.

What is so much better about the alternative? Aren't they just about the same except they carry less?

17. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Media:
    Condoms. They're still in my Jeep somewhere. Gotta be like 6 years old. Plus the freezing and melting that goes on in a car through out the year. Been thinking of giving them to this pimple faced teen at work. BTW, why would you need a whip finishing tool? Mine came with my fingers.

18. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    iagree

I recently picked up the Filson guide vest and love it. It's built super-solid and has everything I need. I went thru a fairly lengthy phase of fishing packs, lanyards, etc. I definitely prefer the vest.

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I have a boat load of stuff (large plastic container anyway) I've set aside. Some of it no doubt was crap to begin with.

As to vests - I've bought assorted vests, creels, slings & chest & fanny packs but keep coming back to the patagucci vertical pocket. I have it scienced out to the point that it's fairly light and everything I'll need has it's own place. But, I don't like wearing a vest so I'm stuck in this same endless loop with many of you. The small chest pack I have is handy though and I always seem to have what I need.

As to whip finishers, I'll play devils advocate. I CAN finish with my hands however I have fat fingers. I can be MUCH more accurate laying down the final wraps with my renzetti whip tool. And what does it take, maybe another 5 seconds? I use it because it's easier and the heads look better. To me at least. (I'm not sure the fish care.) It may not be manly but I like that tool.

The biggest POS I have maybe the sexy looking "Fly (something)" boxes with the contoured shape and double doors & foam. I have two I'll never use and they were like $45 each. But then I have a grocery bag full of discarded boxes.

20. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:

Same reason you don't need condoms.

dfl likes this.