Moth pattern

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by hikepat, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Has any one out there ever seen or used a moth pattern before. I have been out on the water on many a late evenings and watched both trout and bass take dead moths on the surface. On a trip around the coast of Washington two years ago there was one place that was thick with moths so much on this one lake and the fish just seemed to be going crazy for them. Ever since then I have looked to buy some type of pattern that looks like a dead moth. So far I have not learned to tie my own flys so coming up with my own pattern is not yet an option. If any one has ever seen or used a moth pattern I would be currious on how well it worked. I feel that it might be a good pattern to try a dusk and in the early evening durring a full moon but maybe I am wrong. If any one has ever seen some for sale please let me know where to buy them so I can test it out for my self. I really would like to try one this summer up when packing in over night to the Alpine Lake area and try them on Fish Lake for bass:DUNNO

2. i have seen a few moth patterns out there before, but what may be actually happening is a large caddis hatch. moths and caddis flies sometimes look almost identical and have in fact made that very mistake. but then again they could be moth patterns. anyhow, for a fly you want one to give the same wing impression as a moth, and one that works quite well is an elk hair caddis, you just need to make sure that it is the same size as the bugs that you see. other caddis patterns will work as well, such as a fluttering caddis or a spent caddis, i haven't seen those patterns in shops just books, and have tied my own. if you don't tie your own flies i would suggest getting a few elk hair caddis in a larger size and trying that.
    good luck
    steve s

3. I'll second the Elk Hair caddis idea. In Montana long ago we always used a light colored EHC for the Spruce Moth fall on Rock Creek each year, (with great success).

4. I don't know much about them, but in the east they fish a fly called a "jassid" which is some kind of a small moth. Maybe you could search the web for an eastern or midwest mail-order fly supplier and try to find some jassids in the sizes you're looking for.

5. I stopped off at a fly shop off I-5 down near Olympia a couple of falls ago and remember seeing moth patterns there. I cannot remember the name of the fly shop, but it was mentioned in an article on the Deschutes River (WA's, not OR's) in the latest issue of Northwest Flyfishing magazine. (Sorry, don't have the magazine with me right now.) Another possibility is Creekside Angling in Issaquah. They seem to have more unusual patterns than most flyshops around here.

6. Drove by Lake Crescent early one August evening in 1994 and noticed an incredible swarm of moths (Spruce Moths maybe?) around a couple of trees tight up against the bank. I stopped the car at the nearest pullout and walked over to take a look. There were a few rings on the surface of the water so I ran back to the car, rigged up with a size 6 orange Stimulator and tried to beat a path through brush to the water. Managed to stick my rod out of the bushes far enough to stick a sidearm cast under the tree where most of the moths were hovering. Instant hookup, followed by instant LDR (snapped off my 4x tippett). Tied on some 3x and again hooked up immediately. After about 10 minutes I netted a nice 5 lb. cutt. Been back a couple of times a year ever since (it's a nice diversion when driving to Neah Bay/Sekiu area for silvers, pinks or whatever is open). Always had some success using either the #6 orange Stimulator or a similar sized Goddard Caddis. Haven't tried an Elk Hair Caddis but imagine it would do just as well.

Hint, if you don't see the moth hatch, don't bother stopping....unless you want some practice making difficult casts in hard to reach locations.

7. Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I believe the reason for lack of Moth patterns is that most moth species are distasteful to the trout. Most of the stories heard
    about seeing fish eating "moths" in the evening are indeed mistaken
    Caddis hatches which resemble moths from afar.

8. I was searching thru some old fly books and came across a pattern called a White Miller. It is a wet fly which is also tied in a dry.

I've used the dry before but it's been years since I did. Gone to different flies now. Jim

9. Quite a few of you talked about using Elk Hair Caddis as a moth pattern. You may be right. Late in the evening one night at a lake by Deep Lake I caught bass on a Caddis and thought it strange the bass would bother with an Elk Hair Caddis. Thinking back it was late in the evening and a few moths were flying around at the time. I just never put the two together. I can see a fish when the water has a ripple on it not being able to tell one for another. I thank you all for your input. The next time I am out around Creekside I will also check to see if they have moth patterns in stock for when the water is calm to have even a better match. :THUMBSUP

10. I have seen the moth thing as well. And it too was on Cresent Lake. However, I saw this action going on in the middle of the day, in August. I was heading home from flyfishing the local streams. When we came along side Cresent Lake, there was some sort of hatch going on right next to shore and the fish were on it, but this was not a moth hatch. It was foggy at the time. As the fog left and the hot sun started through the clouds, the hatch next to shore stopped. But, as we were getting ready to leave, these big white moths started flying out over the lake. They were coming from the trees along the lake and from the other side of the road(101).As they spread farther and farther out, the fish (and I mean big fish) started to go nuts. Nothing close to shore, all of it was out aways. These large bows were actually playing with the damn things before gulping them down. These were without question, a BIG white moth. They were really white. I would think a foam popper in all white with a LONG leader might work. These fish were getting their kicks with the moth before they gobbled it up. So the fly has to have some ability to stay on top. It would be a fast strip and causing the fly to bounce on the surface. I thought this to be a Timber Moth.

11. Here is a moth pattern from the Spring 2001 issue of Southwest Fly Fishing. It is supposed to immitate a southwestern pine tip moth and is used on the Pecos River in NM.

Uncle Skippy's Pine Moth

Hook: standard dry 12-14
    Thread: white
    Tail: bleached elk hair, short and thick
    Body: light tan hare's mask
    Wing: bleached elk hair tied "delta" style
    Hackle: light ginger
    Head: tan thread

It pretty much looks like a caddis pattern except for the "delta" wings.
    Good Luck

12. Not too long ago I was reading in Nat'l Geographic the article on Grizzlies, - Grizzlies you ask. Well in that article they talk about a large white moth which they describe as " strong fliers with abdomens the size of jelly beans", they appear in the high country and high plains, cooler regions, up into Canada, along the Rockies, Cascades and Coast Mountains and Selkirks, from Montana down to Nebraska. What I thought was interesting was they write that "they appear in late June, and early July, 40 percent of their body weight is fat, by late August that has increased to 72 percent fat. :pROFESSOR
    The article says "They become the richest food source in the eco system, and that the bears will eat up to 2,500 an hour or about 40,000 a day", they go on to talk about how "the hot spots where these white moths are found resemble salmon streams with as many as 23 grizzlies foraging together."
    What does that have to do with fish: The article then eludes to the fact the cutthroats and other non native fish key on the white moths as well, which is one of the many reasons they do not spray chemicals for the large cut worm larvae along the feeder streams into Yellowstone Lake, the fish eat the moths bears eat them both... I would imagine the high fat content make this little critter a very tasty meal for a fish who seem to know that a bigger meal is often times better. For what it is worth......
    Thanks for the pattern for the moth too.